Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thumbnail Previews Not Saving or Showing Correctly

• Please log in to reply

q1000101

q1000101

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello. I am using Vista Home Edition 32-bit version SP1 and in the past few weeks my thumbnail previews have disappeared.

If I open a folder that is set for large icon view, instead of getting thumbnails and folder previews, I get blank spaces with the file name under it...

Folder upon opening:
Posted Image

Now if I cycle through the various views - list, details, tiles, and back to icons - it will generate and display thumbnails ... but with two problems: (1) notice the folder images it just generated are smaller than they should be, and they are not showing any preview of what's inside the folder; and (2) the thumbnails for the jpgs are there only as long as the window is open and I don't navigate elsewhere. As soon as I leave the folder, they revert back to a blank space.

Folder after cycling through the Views button:
Posted Image

Moving to another folder yields the same results: no thumbnails:
Posted Image

And going back to the previous folder, and the thumbnails are gone again =(
Posted Image

Folder Options -> View -> Advanced -> "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked.
System Properties -> Advanced -> Performance Settings -> "Show thumbnails instead of icons" is checked.

I have deleted the thumbnails cache in Disk Cleanup. I also attempted a system rollback to no avail. Apparently this problem occurred prior to the earliest system checkpoint on my machine, but I don't know what I did to make the thumbnails views disappear.

Thank you for your time, and I appreciate any suggestions or advice you may have.

Edited by q1000101, 17 November 2008 - 07:49 PM.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Search for any 'thumbs.db' files and delete them. Windows will create new ones next time you select thumbnail view.The existing ones might be corrupted.

q1000101

q1000101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the reply. I tried that and it netted no results. I set it to show all hidden files, searched the entire computer for thumbs.db, deleted everything that showed up (a lot of old files from a few years ago, nothing with recent dates), emptied the recycle bin, rebooted, reset to hide hidden files...

... and the problem persists.

:)