Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Hey all,

Well, it's getting towards christmas again, which is usually around the time I upgrade my PC. I'm still happy with my overall performance from my last build, aside from my CPU (Which i've had for 2 years now... so time for an upgrade anyways!)

This is my current rig:

Antec 900
abit IP35 PRO (Can use 45nm CPU's, 1333 FSB)
2gb of PC6400 Corsair Memory running Dual Channel
XFX Alpha Dog 8800GT 512mb
Corsair HX-620W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 500gb SATAII HDD
Pentium D (950 or 945... it's 3.4Ghz, that's what I know)

I guess i'm looking for a Quad core CPU, but that's not definate. I'd probably be happy with an E8500/8600..

Anyway, it's been a while since i've been looking into PC upgrades and i'm kind of behind on all the news. I was so surprised when I saw all the new chipsets (I hadn't seen anything past the P45 :)). I'm not sure what's good value right now, what's good for what, and I don't really want a Q6600 :) (Q6700 maybe...).

So, i'm looking for some advice on what CPU is good value these days, overclocking is fine with me (I run my 3.4Ghz Pentium D up to 3.8 most of the time :wave:)

Thanks,
Seltox

Advertisements

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
The new processor from intel(November 17, 2008)!!
Intel Core i7 920 Processor
Intel Core i7 940 Processor
Intel Core i7 965 Processor Extreme Edition

Be the owner of the latest processor in the world =)

Edited by Axelion, 18 November 2008 - 12:05 AM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
What will you be doing with the computer? If you're just gaming then save some money and go with an Intel E8500 and overclock it to around 4.0GHz. Going with an i7 processor would mean you will need a new X58 chipset motherboard and DDR3 RAM. This route will cost you tons but since you're only asking for the CPU and I'm guessing your Abit P35 Pro is still doing good, I'd say stick with that and get the Intel E8500. If you want Quad Core, there are a lot of choices out there and will depend on your budget. For a Quad Core, I'd go with a nice 45nm ones and get the Q9300 and just overclock it however I doubt it'll hit even close to 4.0GHz.

Hope that helps.
Kamille

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Yup, kamille is telling you the good choice on processor.
Mine was too luxurious to you :)

Try this Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield
It's a great processor :)

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Okay, looking around on Australian stores for a Q9300, and I can't seem to find any. Plenty of Q9400's, but no Q9300 :)

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
That's good to hear. Q9400 Yorkfield has higher frequency and clock multiplier than Q9300 :)
It's also a great choice :)

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Okay, so i've been reading about the E8500 and it's overclocking, seem people havn't been having a lot of trouble getting it up to 3.8-4Ghz on air, without raising the voltage much (if at all).

So, I need to make sure i'm making a good choice about whether I go for a dual core or a quad core.

My computer mainly gets used for gaming. The most programs i'm ever running at the same time as a game is just, maybe firefox, iTunes, the game itself, and all my anti-viruses in the background.

For gaming alone, would the quad core or the dual core perform better?

Candu

Candu

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Right now, you will see smoother frame rates from the E8500, (as you rightly point out both that and the E8400 are very easy to get to 4GHz with an aftermarket cooler). As right now games aren't multithreaded all *that* much and you generally see more performace from 2 cores at 4Ghz than you would from 4 @ 3.6GHz.

However, my future CPUs will most likely be quad cores (or 6, or 8, whatever the new CPUs are looking like next year) as Im sure that as computer software moves forwards it will be written to spread its self over more cores. And when I finally give in and upgrade from windows XP having 4 or more cores will be more important.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Yeah, that's kind of my thoughts.

If I was purchasing this CPU a year ago, i'd have just gone with dual core, but quad core will be more important in the future.

Oh, and is it true that Microsoft are already planning their next OS, because a lot of people are still anti-Vista? 'tis what my brother told me :)

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Oh, and is it true that Microsoft are already planning their next OS, because a lot of people are still anti-Vista? 'tis what my brother told me :)

It is called Windows 7 and Microsoft has been working on it for a while now.