Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HTML code needed

• Please log in to reply

brzs4life

brzs4life

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello everyone i just joined this site and wish i could find a good use of it.

Iam gonna go straight to topic...Well.. browsing the web to find free online website translators (widgets) I have found many that you can click on a country flag to select language and the site automatically translates either through babel fish, google, and whatever....
Well what does not seem anyone has done is after clicking at a flag different from the original website language to click at another flag and BAM u get error.. iam no expert at it but i believe its because the HTML is translating original language (which usually is in english) into watver language u choose but after that the links are still from original language (englsih) to something else creating an error...

If you still dont know what I mean...
Example: There are 3 Languages: English (website Original), POrtuguese, Spanish.
Lets say you click Portuguese, it translates eng to port, but now on the portuguese tranlated page try cliking Spanish...
It does not work...... It says error...

So to avoid that i believe you would need a special javascript or html (i dont know) code so the links of the flags functions reloading main page (with original language) and then loading the translation.... so evertime you were to click (relating to example) spanish it would reload english and then load spanish translation.. it is not complicated as far as the idea I just dont know if there is such a code with properties of loading and reloading time or anything that would work bypassing tha flaw...

If anyone has any idea let me know....
site i have seen with problems are: http://www.madtomato...i-flags-widget/
http://www.creativet...te_or_blog.html
http://www.widgetbox...site-translator
and many more......

If u still dont know what i mean do what the example says on those sites and see for urself....

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I think the problem in some page translations is that the function is just that...a translation which does not provide you a functional page in the new language. That's why they should indicate for you to use your browser's back button to return to original functioning page.

I haven't looked at Google's translated page code and compared links to see exactly what effect a translation has on the link. I think you have a valid point except for some services like Babel Fish, Google or some widget. I just think they don't make the effort to translate the source code into the language of choice and, if they do, don't check to make sure their links function properly in the translated language. I agree, ALL links should work on EVERY translated page as they shouldn't have to be translated since the links use a country flag icon or the text link description in the original language on the better pages offering translated pages.

Personally, I would have my own translated pages with links leading to each language I wish to provide on each. To me this eliminates the use of any translation service, but does require additional work on the part of the web designer.