Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

suggestions on a new build

• Please log in to reply

macattack0037

macattack0037

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello everyone, I'm building a new PC and I'm on a budget. I have a lot picked out but nothing is final yet. I was looking for some insight in alot of these parts to see if anyone has used them before or knows a little more about them than i do. Here is what we got so far...

Case

Hard Drive

Mother board

GPU

Also does anyone have any good comparisons on ATI's 3870, i have heard it was good but i personally don't know anyone who has had one. It's about $60 cheaper so if the performance is only a little less i would be happy to save the money.

CPU

Memory

PSU

Also does anyone have any experience with ATI's hybrid crossfire. The MOBO i have has a pretty decent GPU on it, i was hoping i could run Hybrid.
So everyone feel free to tear it apart. I have this priced for just under $600 which is what I'm looking to spend.
Also please be very detailed and insightful, give any and all knowledge in your experience.
Ill be running Vista 32 home premium by the way.

Thanks a ton

Edited by macattack0037, 18 November 2008 - 03:30 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

I can't really comment on the video card but overall the system looks good. I've built quite a few systems now using Asrocks motherboards (all different ones) and each time I have been really impressed with them, so I reckon Asrocks a good choice.

The only thing you may want to check is the compatibility of the video card. I noticed on Asrocks website under the crossfire support list, they only have one card listed for Vista. I'm sure this list isn't exhaustive but it may be worth checking out, especially if you're considering the 3870.

WD hard drives are good although I will just mention that Seagate give you a 5 year warranty as opposed to the 3 year one offered by WD...

Hopefully someone else can give you some insight on the GPU

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Reviews I've read have said that Hybrid graphics are a waste of time...

If you want to check out Tom's Hardware Graphics, you can see some good choices for you video card.

Troy

macattack0037

macattack0037

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much. That's a lot of help i was wondering about the Mother board too. I think i will definitely go with the 4850 then, it seems like the best bang for the buck.

Does anyone have any comments on the power supply?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Looks like a pretty good choice. I've got an Antec True Power Trio 650W (very similar), it runs fantastic.

Troy