Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Continual computer problems

• Please log in to reply

Dalghetti

Dalghetti

• Pip
  • 1 posts
G'day all,

Built a computer with the folling specs:

AMD64 3400+
K8VT800 Pro
2x160Gig Seagate SATA HD (not running in RAID)
2x512Mb Generic RAM (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
GeCube 9600XT
Hairong 400W PSU and generic case
Pioneer DVD Burner
XP Pro with SP2

Ran fine for a week or 2 before it started to crash, screen would just freeze, no BSOD. CPU temp was getting up to 60 deg celcius before automatically crashing, so removed the stock HSF and replaced with a ThermalTake Silent Tower. Reduced the temp to just over 50 deg under load, but the problem still existed. It got worse and worse so I decided to reformat the computer, in case there was software conflicts, but the computer was freezing up during the re-installing. I removed one RAM stick, and the installation went through without hiccup. replaced with the other RAM stick, formatted and reinstalled, again without a problem. When I put both RAM sticks in, the system would freeze, so I thought I had the problem solved. But again, while browing, 30 minutes later, the computer froze up.

Checked the web, found many references to other uses with the same problems, and attempted all solutions listed, including using older and newer drivers and running at AGP4x. So I decided to purchase a 6600GT, which I was looking to do anyways. Thinking this would solve all my problems, after only 10 minutes of installing it, on the nVidia site, the computer froze up again when I pressed on a link. Also, to dispell any thoughts of a faulty graphics card, I have run both the ATI and nVidia cards in a different comuter with no problems.

I know I have to throw more money at this thing, but don't wanna spend more than what I have to, since I already have. I am guessing at the least I will have to buy a new MOBO, and possibly a new PSU as well. So my questions are:
1. What MOBO and PSU should I be looking at to rectify this problem?
2. Is there anything I should check before I splash out this money? Last thing I want to do is spend this money and still have this problem at the end of it.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
it sounds like the ram is the problem. each stick works ok alone, but together, system crashes.
assuming you are using the ram channels correctly for DDR, if you have another port for one of the ram sticks, try that.
you have probably run across references to a program called memtest in other threads. try that out as well (I havent used it personally, so I dont know much about it).
generic RAM could be the cause- you might be able to just upgrade that to a supported brand (check the website for your mobo), and be all set.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yep Audioboy is right memtest that generic ram first and post back the results but test each stick individually and let memtest run for at least 3 passes. Generic ram can be hit or miss.

Also post the amps of 12v, 3.3 and 5v rail of the psu, this info is usually listed on a decal on the psu.

What are your voltage readings on the above rails?

We may also have to look at some bios settings but try memtest first.

Rick