Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New sound card.any suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
i want a sound card to go in a w3107. its not anything special, but it does what i need...anyway, i love music, and want to get an entire system for Christmas, with a new sound card. Any Suggestions???

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
What brand of computer is this? Pretty much any sound card is going to be a PCI card, tho I dunno if you'll get anything that will work with Windows ME...

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
oh, sorry, i dont know how to update that thing. i run xp on an w3107 emachines...

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

oh, sorry, i dont know how to update that thing

Press the "Edit" button at the bottom of the post.

i run xp on an w3107 emachines...

Ok...If you're hoping to get a new system for Christmas, personally I would wait and see if you get one, rather then spend the money on a new card and get a brand new system a month later.

However...If you're still going to upgrade the sound card, NewEgg is an excellent place to look. Here's one that's pretty cheap ($27.99), but they have expensive one's, depending on your needs.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
thanks...yeah, i got a wireless adapter off of there a couple weeks ago...do you know of any good speakers?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Again, depends on what you're looking for.

Here's a set of really awesome stereo speakers (I've got a pair) and they work really well, especially for the $10 I spent on it.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
alright...i heard that cyber acoustics was a good company...oh, and i hate to ask so many questions, but i was just wonderin if you knew any cool programs for computer...im not lookin for anything in particular, just good/fun cheap programs...

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Haha...Well, depends on what you're looking for...

Blender is an awesome (FREE) 3D modeling/rendering/animating program. It's fairly lightweight (It ran fairly well on my AMD K6/233 system that I had four years ago,) so I'd imagine it'd run pretty well on your machine...

Terragen is a free landscape rendering program. I've made some pretty awesome pictures in there...I rendered the background for my website in there and tweaked it a bit with The Gimp, another free program... (Btw...I'm not done building my website yet, so you may find broken links or pages without anything on them if you go there.)

So, it really all depends on what you want to do. If you wanna tell me I can certainly look and see if I can find anything to suit your needs :)

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Wow, thats really cool...i totally hope to do that one day, but im still in high school :)...but i am taking computer classes to learn to pass the A+ thing....are you writing a book to?Oh, and thanks...i got the blender thing a couple days ago, but im not to sure on how to use it...

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Haha...well, check out this for a basic overview of Blender terminology and controls...It's sort of a tutorial (kinda) that I wrote a while ago and posted on a friends website...

i totally hope to do that one day, but im still in high school

I was still in highschool when I started all this stuff

Yes, I'm writing a book too...I think I linked the site there :)

EDIT: Tho I'd love to keep talking with you, probably ought to start a thread in the "Off Topic" forum... :)

Edited by jt1990, 22 November 2008 - 10:56 AM.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
ok, its called "the all-time battle"