Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is it dead?

• Please log in to reply

zanikat

zanikat

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok i was trying to go through the steps because my boot.ini file is corrupted and my hal.dll is also... however I put the recovery disk in and hit "r" and it said that the disk i/o was messed up or something. I cannot get it to the mode where I need to do the changing of the boot.ini or fix it....

I am not sure what else to do, it just gives me that error and tells me wrong disk or the stop bsod or corrupt file messages...

please help

thank you

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi zanikat, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Please be as specific as you can when you reference your error messages. Can you please tell us the exact wording of the error messages you see, and when they show up? What exactly does it say on the recovery CD you are using?

Also, what is the make and model of your computer? This will help us find more specific information to help you.

Edited by The Admiral, 18 November 2008 - 10:46 PM.

zanikat

zanikat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the stop bsod says ***Stop: 0x000000ED (0x822BA030, 0XC006C14F, 0X00000000, 0X00000000) UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME...

i get this message when I try geting into safe mode or boot up with the recovery console.

<windows_root)hal.dll missing or corrupt please reinstall this file.... this is upon start up

invalid system disk or disk i/o error press a key to restart...

that is upon using the 1st recovery disk i made.. (my comp did NOT come with a xp he disk)

I also get invalid boot.ini when I do get the recovery disk (cd) to work.. and it restarts itself

I have an hp pavilion digital media edition

Edited by zanikat, 18 November 2008 - 10:59 PM.

zanikat

zanikat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i think that is all i needed for the post

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Hmmm....It sounds like your XP CD didn't get made correctly....I would try contacting HP and ordering recovery disks.

Also - "HP Pavilion Digital Media Edition" is not the model number. I can help you look for CD's, but I'll need the specific model number from the computer.