Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla, IE problems following trojan attack

• Please log in to reply

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
FYI. I just got a backup harddrive a few days ago and I plugged it in this morning. Everything backed up fine, worked like a charm. I scanned it, clean (hence the earlier post). However, I just tried to have it search for updates and it gave me an error which said that i didn't have an internet connection. I tried it four or five times, no help. So, I came on here to post that little tidbit and decided to try it again and it worked. No clue

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
So, what's your status right now?

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I"m planning on doing the repair tomorrow.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK.

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok,

It took me a little longer to get around to it than I thought, but I repaired XP. During the repair there were 2 RUNDLL errors saying that there were missing entries in msnsspc.dll and msasspc.dll. After startup, the first time there was an error in c:\windows\system32\iernounce.dll and and Invalid Parameter error "No response file listed". I've restarted a few times, installed SP3 and the errors have gone away. However...

Still load both IE and FF with their respective weird homepages. And, in a new wrinkle, clicking on the home button in IE or entering an address in the location bar will open a new FF tab with that info. If I type www.phdcomics.com in the IE location bar, I will get a FF tab open to that site.

Still cannot edit the registry or open the clock.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since you have all data backed up, I think, you're gonna go for clean reinstall: http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html
Personally, I see no other options.

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks, I'll consider that.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Keep us posted.

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hey,

Well, I had to man up and do a clean install of XP. I ditched NIS and Spysweeper in favor of McAfee Total Protection. Whatever problems I had have obviously been solved by the Etch-A-Sketch Restart Method. Everything is humming along just fine now.

Thanks for all of the help. I wish we could've gotten to the root of the problem just so others in my situation might have been helped, but regardless, it's fixed now.

Sincerely,

-Nick