Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus

• Please log in to reply

December

December

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
First, thanks for your help. I got my regular tower (I guess that's what you call it)back. Anyway I have an email about a virus going around and their is no program yet to stop it. I have alot of faith in you guys and I don't know if you got the same email I did, warning you about this virus. But I was wondering if you wanted to read mine and write a program to stop it. I'm sure if anyone can do it you can. Oh, if you didn't get the warning, this is what it says, something about your life is over and it wipes your computer clean, and everything you have on yours they can get your email name, etc. I would attach it but thought I better ask you first. Thanks

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
December,

This is most likely a hoax email. There are a few of these that circulate, giving warnings that your hard drive will be erased if you get an email and open it. They usually include information about how CNN and other news stations are reporting it and that no anti-virus companies can stop it yet. If that's the type of email you got, the email itself is not dangerous. These emails only cause problems because someone will get it and then forward it to everyone in their inbox, so it just perpetuates the hoax.

You can research these on many of the AV sites, such as http://www.symantec.com - do a search on hoax emails, and you'll find a list of them.