Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Ok here is the thing, I got a spare 60gig external hard drive. I bought an encloser for it, and was able to format it and load what I wanted onto it from my laptop!

Now when I plug it into the desktop to try to transfer those files to it, it makes the usb sound, and then shows in mycomputer for less than a second, and then makes the unplug usb sound and is gone from my computer.

I have tried every usb port on my computer. With same results... anyone have any idea?

last time I had this issue, no one was able to help me... so I am trying again.

last time I just got a new computer cause a complete format and buying a new internal usb port didnt work... thats not an opition this time... so can you/anyone help me!

Advertisements

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Anyone at all?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with the usb drive plugged into the computer right click on my computer and choose manage

look in device manager (specifically the hard drive and usb section)...do you see the drive there?
in disk management (still in that same management area) do you see the external drive there?