Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer turns on but wont start

• Please log in to reply

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have tried another monitor, a different Memory stick. I have also bought a new video card, that didn't work. I have bought a new power supply, that didn't work. I bought a new CPU, that didn't work. What other options do I have?

Advertisements

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Can anyone help?

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Sure, it seems you have a good one on your hands, I’m a little lost on what’s happened the last times you try it, with all the new components, what happens? It won’t post at all?
Do you have anything non-vital(external LAN, sound, any PCI device) connected to the motherboard?
Also, the answer now seems pretty obvious, the last thing to rule out is the motherboard, and that would complete you a whole new PC! Sorry for that waste of money.

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
no other external devices were connected. I replaced pretty much everything except the hard drives. I have two so I flip flopped them too and that didn't work. I have had an issue with my motherboard in the past and i sent it in for an exchange. I wonder if it is still under warrenty. Otherwise, i think i have to buy a new one. What do yoyu mean by that would complete you a whole new PC?

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

What do yoyu mean by that would complete you a whole new PC?

:) well you said you got a new CPU, a new GPU, a new PSU and used another memory, that makes for a CPU if you add the motherboard!

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I say you already ruled out all the other components, and so you do need a new motherboard, I’d hope you’re still under warranty but that depends on how and where you got it. If this has happened before, I would suggest checking at your electrical installation on your house because it could be doing something to your pcs, or maybe something else that could cause some damage to sensitive devices that is near your computer. That’s a long shot but would be worth giving it a shot.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It sounds as everyone is pointing towards the same thing. The mobo.

A couple more things to think of.
It has been asked, but not answered. Are you getting POST? You should see a lot of white lettering on the screen prior to attempted boot.
The white lettering would be about the bios version, drives installed, cd roms installed, etc.

If everything else is good, and you swapped to another drive that is not bootable, you would get something to the effect of "No boot device found".

In your 1st post you said

About 2 days ago, this happened and when I turned my computer off, I unplugged the power to the video cable and turned the computer on and it worked. A message came up telling me that I should check the cable connection to my video card, but windows still opened up. I beleive that must mean I have a built in videocard on my motherboard. Nevertheless, the issue occured after I was able to bypass the Nvidia video card.

. That means you have on board video.
But with just the power disconnected, the drivers for the card are still loading and conflicting with the onboard.

Have you tried safe mode by tapping F8 at startup. It may or may not work. If you do get all the way to safe mode, then you most likely have some components that are not playing nice together and then I would say the mobo is ok.

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Nicolet, I have returned all the new items. I bought them only to see if I could determine the issue. So I don't have all the pieces for a new computer anymore. Although, I see your point if I did.

123Runner, I am NOT getting POST. Sorry, I thought I answered that. Whenever the computer turns on, it is completely blank on the screen. I have plugged in the monitor to my laptop and it works fine, so I don't think the monitor is the issue. Although, my video card is DVI and my monitor is VGA so i'm using an adapter. I have tried a second adapter as well and that didn't help. I have tried to swap to another drive and did not get the message you are referring to.
I don't know how it's possible that I have an on board video card because there is no where to plug in my monitor without my video card.
I will try safe mode now.

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hey it seems you never told us the model of your motherboard (or if you did I missed it), let us know so we can find if you have video or not and some more info on your problem.

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Nicolet,

asus p5n32 sli premium

Advertisements

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I couldn’t find anything about this specific board having a known problem that could explain your issue, the only thing (and this I have verified) is that the nvidia nforce chips like the one you have, get really hot and sometimes require additional cooling. Other than that, it could’ve been just about anything, and I can’t think of a way for you to solve this other than replacing the motherboard, sorry.
PD: This model does not have integrated Video so you would need an external video card to run it

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I sent the motherboard back to ASUS, the manufacturer. They said they couldn't fix it and they don't make that model anymore, so they gave me a similar model. The issue was the motherboard was fried. case solved. thanks for the help.