Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building new system for gaming. Please advice

• Please log in to reply

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
ya i am kind of thinking if i should go for the most expensive high end card. any suggestions for a keyboard/mouse wireless that has range of at least 12 feet?

Advertisements

eldernnine

eldernnine

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

ya i am kind of thinking if i should go for the most expensive high end card. any suggestions for a keyboard/mouse wireless that has range of at least 12 feet?

Yes get the GTX 260 because it's better and roughly the same price range as the 4870x2

If you're a gamer then get the best mouse, which is the Logitech G5 corded mouse...

Cordless are bad for gaming, but if you must get a cordless then... Logitech MX 1000

A simple black Logitech keyboard will suit you just fine for under $20... I wanted a smooth and quiet keyboard, and one that had unobtrusive lights, so I got this one: http://www.scan.co.u...roductId=791177

Razer Lycosa... It's really amazing. The G5 plus the Razer Lycosa both have the best reviews, they're the top quality gaming mouse/keyboard. Although mouse and keyboard are personal preference! The majority of people seem to like these!

Also, if you're a gamer then you will want top-quality headphones, and a good sound-card also.

I got the best of these as well...

The #1 soundcard is the Azunetech X-fi Prelude
The #1 gaming headphones are the Sennheiser PC350...

But you can search google for "quality gaming headset review" and find whatever suits you... Or if you don't care about hearing footsteps, reloads, and extreme sound-effects, then don't bother with this very expensive soundcard and headset.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Yes get the GTX 260 because it's better and roughly the same price range as the 4870x2

I don't know where you got that information but ATI's 4870x2 performs way better than GTX 260 and even the GTX 280 because it has 2 GPUs and it costs $200 or more than the GTX 260.
GTX 260 cards
4870x2 cards
And look at this video card hierarchy chart.
I do agree that some of the ATI 4800 series have problems with overheating but they do perform very well and are quite cheap.

However, buying video card depends on what games you're going to play and the resolution you're going to play at. I do suggest going with the GTX260 now and upgrade in a year or so because video cards gets obsolete (new technology) real fast. You should go with this EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 because of the company's great warranty and customer support.

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

If you're a gamer then get the best mouse, which is the Logitech G5 corded mouse...

Cordless are bad for gaming, but if you must get a cordless then... Logitech MX 1000

A simple black Logitech keyboard will suit you just fine for under $20... I wanted a smooth and quiet keyboard, and one that had unobtrusive lights, so I got this one: http://www.scan.co.u...roductId=791177

Razer Lycosa... It's really amazing. The G5 plus the Razer Lycosa both have the best reviews, they're the top quality gaming mouse/keyboard. Although mouse and keyboard are personal preference! The majority of people seem to like these!

Also, if you're a gamer then you will want top-quality headphones, and a good sound-card also.

But you can search google for "quality gaming headset review" and find whatever suits you... Or if you don't care about hearing footsteps, reloads, and extreme sound-effects, then don't bother with this very expensive soundcard and headset.

I am not sure why you are saying that the GTX 260 is better that the 4870x2. The 4870x2 is much more powerful than 260 and even the 280 and much more expensive. so will the logitiech keyboard have a range of at least 12 ft.

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I am not sure why you are saying that the GTX 260 is better that the 4870x2. The 4870x2 is much more powerful than 260 and even the 280 and much more expensive. so will the logitiech keyboard have a range of at least 12 ft.

eldernnine

eldernnine

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

I don't know where you got that information but ATI's 4870x2 performs way better than GTX 260 and even the GTX 280 because it has 2 GPUs and it costs $200 or more than the GTX 260.
GTX 260 cards
4870x2 cards
I do agree that some of the ATI 4800 series have problems with overheating but they do perform very well and are quite cheap.

However, buying video card depends on what games you're going to play and the resolution you're going to play at. I do suggest going with the GTX260 now and upgrade in a year or so because video cards gets obsolete (new technology) real fast. You should go with this EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 because of the company's great warranty and customer support.

You tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about, then you suggest going with the GTX 260 because video cards become obsolete.

But guess what? The 4870x2 = 2x ATI's, the GTX 260 = 1x nVidia... The performance is neck to neck.

The ATI runs too hot, you won't be overclocking it much more than it already is. The nVidia however has plenty of OC potential. It's simply better quality. End of debate.

But, people are free to do what they want. As long as you're happy.

http://forums.extrem...mp;d=1225834773

There's one benchmark showing how it takes 2x 4870's to get 5-10 FPS more than 1x GTX 280.

This GTX 260 is the best, it will run smooth, quiet, and fast. There's no way you will regret it.

http://www.scan.co.u...2xDL-DVI-I-HDTV

Review of GTX 260/280
http://enthusiast.ha...W50aHVzaWFzdA==

4870x2 will run very hot, and very loud, the performance bonus over the single GTX 260 is very insignificant, and it loses against SLi 260's.

Have fun :)

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

GTX 260 cards
4870x2 cards

You tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about, then you suggest going with the GTX 260 because video cards become obsolete.

But guess what? The 4870x2 = 2x ATI's, the GTX 260 = 1x nVidia... The performance is neck to neck.

The ATI runs too hot, you won't be overclocking it much more than it already is. The nVidia however has plenty of OC potential. It's simply better quality. End of debate.

There's one benchmark showing how it takes 2x 4870's to get 5-10 FPS more than 1x GTX 280.

This GTX 260 is the best, it will run smooth, quiet, and fast. There's no way you will regret it.

Review of GTX 260/280

4870x2 will run very hot, and very loud, the performance bonus over the single GTX 260 is very insignificant, and it loses against SLi 260's.

It is definitely true that the 4870X2 WILL Run very hot but that doesn't make it worse than the GTX 260. In fact there are a number of reviews that point out the superiority of 4870x2 to every other card and teh 260 is below 280, 260 216 core and at par with 4870. Yes if you are talking about 260s in SLI then that makes sense.

eldernnine

eldernnine

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

GTX 260 cards
4870x2 cards

Review of GTX 260/280

It is definitely true that the 4870X2 WILL Run very hot but that doesn't make it worse than the GTX 260. In fact there are a number of reviews that point out the superiority of 4870x2 to every other card and teh 260 is below 280, 260 216 core and at par with 4870. Yes if you are talking about 260s in SLI then that makes sense.

I'm saying that a single GTX 260 is superior in every way to a single 4870.

A single GTX 260 is superior in noise (quiet), superior in temperature (low), and nearly equal in performance (FPS) to TWO 4870's.

If you want to have two cards to do what 1 card can, then go ahead. And I wouldn't trust everything you read, there's always conflicting views, bias, etc...

The fact remains, a single 260 is superior to a single 4870. And two cards doesn't make as much a performance improvement as a single higher quality card does. Example: moving from an 8800 to a 260 has a greater impact on performance than moving from a 260 to 2x 260.

Paying for two 4870's is a waste, you're getting 5-10 FPS extra at 1900+ resolution (at lower resolutions it doesn't even matter, they're neck to neck), and that's TWO cards... When you could just get a single 260, perform better than a single 4870, and just as well as a 4870x2, and get a second one at a later date, or even TWO more, and do Tri-SLi on the x58 mobo's...

I wouldn't waste my money on 2 cards that run hot and loud and are barely any better than a single card which runs much better.... I don't see the logic in it.

Do you want quality or quantity? If you want (FOR EXAMPLE) 100 fps, blazing hot temperatures, and annoying noise, then get the 4870x2.... Or, you can pay less money for the GTX 260, get 95 fps under the same conditions, have cool temperatures, and no noise. Plus, you can overclock the 260 very well, it comes with a very good factory fan, will not cause your chassis to overheat, and will give you a much better cost:performance ratio...

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

GTX 260 cards
4870x2 cards

Review of GTX 260/280

A single GTX 260 is superior in noise (quiet), superior in temperature (low), and nearly equal in performance (FPS) to TWO 4870's.

If you want to have two cards to do what 1 card can, then go ahead. And I wouldn't trust everything you read, there's always conflicting views, bias, etc...

The fact remains, a single 260 is superior to a single 4870. And two cards doesn't make as much a performance improvement as a single higher quality card does. Example: moving from an 8800 to a 260 has a greater impact on performance than moving from a 260 to 2x 260.

Paying for two 4870's is a waste, you're getting 5-10 FPS extra at 1900+ resolution (at lower resolutions it doesn't even matter, they're neck to neck), and that's TWO cards... When you could just get a single 260, perform better than a single 4870, and just as well as a 4870x2, and get a second one at a later date, or even TWO more, and do Tri-SLi on the x58 mobo's...

I wouldn't waste my money on 2 cards that run hot and loud and are barely any better than a single card which runs much better.... I don't see the logic in it.

Do you want quality or quantity? If you want (FOR EXAMPLE) 100 fps, blazing hot temperatures, and annoying noise, then get the 4870x2.... Or, you can pay less money for the GTX 260, get 95 fps under the same conditions, have cool temperatures, and no noise. Plus, you can overclock the 260 very well, it comes with a very good factory fan, will not cause your chassis to overheat, and will give you a much better cost:performance ratio...

I did suspect that this is what you are thinking. The 4870x2 is not two 4870 paired together in crossfire but 2 GPUs on a single card. There is a big difference between the two. I would suggest that you read the following links to understand what I am saying and also to understand that the HD 4870X2 provides a massive increase in performance as compared to the GTX 260. Remember when you pair two cards in SLI or crossfire your PSU requirements go up and hence you have to buy a 1kw PSU for a 260 SLI instead of 750w PSU for a 4870X2

http://www.tomshardw...52620-33-4870x2
http://www.neowin.ne...ace-with-nvidia
http://www.engadget....ard-benchmarks/

eldernnine

eldernnine

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

GTX 260 cards
4870x2 cards

Review of GTX 260/280

I did suspect that this is what you are thinking. The 4870x2 is not two 4870 paired together in crossfire but 2 GPUs on a single card. There is a big difference between the two. I would suggest that you read the following links to understand what I am saying and also to understand that the HD 4870X2 provides a massive increase in performance as compared to the GTX 260. Remember when you pair two cards in SLI or crossfire your PSU requirements go up and hence you have to buy a 1kw PSU for a 260 SLI instead of 750w PSU for a 4870X2

http://www.tomshardw...52620-33-4870x2
http://www.neowin.ne...ace-with-nvidia
http://www.engadget....ard-benchmarks/

I understand, but they're still not superior. As I said, the benchmarks show that the 4870x2 is barely better than the 260's, it performs better on benchmarks by a few points, nothing to write home about. In real life, there's no noticable difference.

And as far as PSU is concerned an i7 gaming rig will barely reach 500w at peak. 1000 is overkill. Read about power efficiency, and also its not ideal to have a psu that is going to be more than double what you use...

Advertisements

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I understand, but they're still not superior. As I said, the benchmarks show that the 4870x2 is barely better than the 260's, it performs better on benchmarks by a few points, nothing to write home about. In real life, there's no noticable difference.

I beg to differ. here is a whole page of reviews that states that the 4870x2 is vastly superior to not only the 260 but every other card on the planet. In some games the improvement is by about 100% over the 260. I will be using my 46" LCD as a monitor so I guess i will need the extra power of the 4870x2.

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
here is the system I am going to buy on cyber monday:

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 $20.99
APEVIA X-JUPITER-JR S-Type X-JPJST-MG Metallic Grey SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $74.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $59.99
SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card $489.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $104.99
Gyration GC1205FKM Blue USB RF Wireless Mini GO 2.4 Optical Air Mouse and Keyboard Suite $89.99
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK $71.99
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard $114.99
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500$187.99

Subtotal: $1,215.91
Shipping: $33.46
Grand Total: $1,249.37

There is about a $100 rebate from all these products of which I get most of them except probably from OCZ. The only thing that bums me out is that I have to shell out $80 for the gyration keyboard and mouse since I am going for to connect my computer to a Samsung LCD 46" TV and a wireless I/O at atleast 12 ft is a must.

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

here is the system I am going to buy on cyber monday:

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 $20.99
APEVIA X-JUPITER-JR S-Type X-JPJST-MG Metallic Grey SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $74.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $59.99
SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card $489.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $104.99
Gyration GC1205FKM Blue USB RF Wireless Mini GO 2.4 Optical Air Mouse and Keyboard Suite $89.99
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK $71.99
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard $114.99
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500$187.99

Subtotal: $1,215.91
Shipping: $33.46
Grand Total: $1,249.37

There is about a $100 rebate from all these products of which I get most of them except probably from OCZ. The only thing that bums me out is that I have to shell out $80 for the gyration keyboard and mouse since I am going for to connect my computer to a Samsung LCD 46" TV and a wireless I/O at atleast 12 ft is a must.

I will try and overclock this system.

eldernnine

eldernnine

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well Salil, for that price, you're getting a very good bargain.

I hope you enjoy it.

And if any one found any of my statements to be rude, for some mytserious reason or another, then accept my apology, I never meant to be rude towards anyone, I'm a very polite person and I don't get angry at people and treat them rudely, so you can rest assured that it was never my intention to do so to you.

If money is not an issue, then I suggest you consider SLi 280's....

(Follow the following link to my Thread showing proof that the GTX 280 is more powerful than the 4870x2... Also, don't forget that the 4870's run hot and loud, the 280 is smooth and cool :) )

http://www.geekstogo...te-t219233.html

Edited by eldernnine, 01 December 2008 - 07:59 PM.

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Well Salil, for that price, you're getting a very good bargain.

I hope you enjoy it.

And if any one found any of my statements to be rude, for some mytserious reason or another, then accept my apology, I never meant to be rude towards anyone, I'm a very polite person and I don't get angry at people and treat them rudely, so you can rest assured that it was never my intention to do so to you.

If money is not an issue, then I suggest you consider SLi 280's....

(Follow the following link to my Thread showing proof that the GTX 280 is more powerful than the 4870x2... Also, don't forget that the 4870's run hot and loud, the 280 is smooth and cool :) )

http://www.geekstogo...te-t219233.html

dude, the same thing again dual gtx 280s in SLI will cost me $800 + $100 more in PSU. Whereas a radeon HD 4870X2 costs me $470. You trying in futile to point out that the GTX 280 in some way beats the 4870X2. It may in some games but in most of the games the 4870x2 gives at least 30% more performance than the 280.