Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very strange speaker problem

• Please log in to reply

Zilly

Zilly

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'll try to describe my problem as detailed as I can.

When I turn the volume on my computer down all the way, the right speaker just keeps playing; really loudly too. I've already balanced the volume to use the left speaker more, but the right one still persists like it's ignoring everything I try.
To sum it up, the right speaker is WAY louder than it's supposed to be. When I try to direct more sound to the left that speaker does get louder but the right one barely gets any sound out of it at all if the volume's turned up. If the volume's turned down, the right one keeps on going no matter what while the left one is dead.

NOTE: I have already double-checked all the cables. They're just fine.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually caused because the front panel audio connector on the board is wired up wrongly and will cause oddities.
Therefore take the side of the case off and ensure this is wired up correctly. If its a block connector then this isn't an issue and your problem may be being caused by the software that came with the sound card/motherboard CD.

Zilly

Zilly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Are you sure? The problem appeared just a few days ago and before that everything was working perfectly fine. Sounds very odd that suddenly something inside the case would suddenly go wrong.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
From your description, it definitely is NOT the speaker playing up.

It's something inside the box, seeing as you've checked the cables.

Is it possible to swap the L + R Speakers? If so, do it
Is it possible to swap the L + R Cables? If so, do it

These steps will hopefully eliminate the speaker and the cable from the short list of possible causes.

Sounds very odd that suddenly something inside the case would suddenly go wrong.

Even more bizarre, and to my mind completely impossibe, is a speaker playing something at volume when there's no signal coming out of the box!!!!

Edited by Jonesey, 21 November 2008 - 05:57 AM.

Zilly

Zilly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, I switches the left/right speaker cables around and the left speaker gets the problem. So yeah, not the speakers. I should just learn to live with it... I don't dare opening up my computer and digging around >.>