Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build, no video

• Please log in to reply

bobhawkman

bobhawkman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All - I just built a new pc with these components: Intel dp35dpm mobo, intel core 2 quad q6600 cpu, zalman cpu fan, corsair cmpsu-750tx psu, 8 gb corsair ddr2 800 ram, powercolor ax3870 video card, 2 seagate barracuda 500 gb hd's, 2 LG sata optical drives. Upon initial boot there were no beeps and there was no video. Tried two different monitors (both had been working fine) - no video. Checked video card for proper seating and power hook-up, all looked good. Swapped out ram for 4 1gb sticks that were fine in another pc. No Video, but got 3 beeps (keyboard error). Followed advice, checked connections, removed cmos battery and swapped jumper for 10 min., reinstalled battery and restored jumper to original position. No video. Got usb keyboard and tried again - still got 3 beeps and no video. Any ideas? Next step is to tear out everything, place mobo on cardboard, hook up keyboard, video card, 1 stick of ram, and power up. I am hoping someone knows something I don't so I don't have to tear everything apart.
Thanks!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

According to Intel, 1, 2 or 3 beeps indicate a memory problem:

Intel beep codes for DP35DPM

Assuming that the memory is the issue, then I would first check the compatibility of the ram you have. See the link below for detailed info on this for that motherboard:

Supported ram

If you are still sure that the memory is compatible, then I suggest you try booting it up again with just a single stick of ram in the first slot & see if that makes any difference.

Let me know how you get on.

bobhawkman

bobhawkman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help. I finally pulled the mobo, hooked up 1 stick of ram, the psu, the video card, and the cpu fan. It booted successfully and I finally got video. I looked for any metal protrusions in the case (did not find any) and carefully put the mobo and the guts back in and everything was peachy from then on in. There must have been some sort of short between the case and mobo but I don't know where it was.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It's possible although sometimes you get problems like this which have no obvious explanation at all. Personally, I find that threatening it with the wrong end of screwdriver often does the trick to get it working....!

Glad to hear it's working ok now though :)

bobhawkman

bobhawkman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Next time the three pound sledge comes out of the bag! That ought to make that mobo listen...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You'd be surprised...