Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Stop Error Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

alexisstephani

alexisstephani

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Every time on turn my PC on I get this windows stop error which locks up my computer

(I have a Dell Dimension P4 2.8 0Ghz with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 service pack 2)

BLUE SCREEN

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop messages, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information: *** Stop: 0X0000007E 0X0000005, 0X0007430C, 0XF7E32CB4, 0XF7E329B0

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump completed.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance

I was able to start in safe mode and I even went back and did a system restore to a week ago, and that didn't seem to help. It would boot up then get the blue screen almost immediately after it finished booting up. I also tried to start in safe mode with networking so I could get internet access but that would get the stop error and blue screen. I have to connect to the internet using another PC which makes complicates this exercise. So could download a hi-jack this. I have to get it on to the machine some other way. And since its in safe mode doesnt look like its recognizing a usb stick which I could use to load files

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Some pages which deal with STOP:0X0000007E: (I admit some may not apply to you, but no way of knowing that at this early stage):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321637

Also found this from an ex-Dell support technician in response to that stop error:

"Turn on the PC and immediately start tapping F2 Button to access the BIOS settings.
In the BIOS screen look for the the settings for 'Power Management'.
Look for the option 'Load Default', highlight the option and press Enter.
It will ask you YES or NO. select YES and your computer will restart in Windows........"

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 22 November 2008 - 03:41 PM.

alexisstephani

alexisstephani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
thank you for your suggestions. I read the two articles carefully and then I tried the "Load Defaults" option in the bios and unfortunately, that did not help. I found the Load Defaults selection under Maintenance which was right after Power Management. I first wrote down all my bios settings before I tried and saved the Load Defaults option into my Bios. I am really stuck this time because I cant find my windows xp media center edition cd's and I cant get out to the internet to download the latest video adapter drivers or to download recent bios updates, nor can I load anything onto this dell( Safe mode will not allow me to recognize a usb memory stick, and the other pc I have that I am using to access the internet doesnt have a cd burner so I couldn't download to my working pc, and then burn video driver updates or bios updates to a cdr to transfer onto the messed up blue screen dell. When I looked at control panel for recent software or drivers - I didn't see anything recent there that could be causing this conflict. I am wondering because I did a system restore back to November 16th , that maybe I wiped out the recently installed drivers( but something is definitely causing the error stop). I was getting to the point where I was considering reinstalling XP ( but I cant find the disks anyway) on to another harddisk just so I could get the machine working again , and then copy all my pictures, music, and data files of of the messed up harddrive ( installing it as a slave in the same machine). I am really stuck this time

Any Advice?