Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LARGE PRINT

• Please log in to reply

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
My laptop suddenly is displaying really LARGE print and icons. I would like to know how to get the smaller size back. The only thing that I did was push the OFF button when the battery ran out of juice. Next time I turned it on, there was the message about Windows not being shut down correctly and did I want to start it up in Safe mode or Normal. I picked Normal and I knew the shutdown was my doing. I have looked in My Computer, etc. to try to find the answer to my problem but no luck!
I hope someone can help correct this...these large screens, etc. are driving me nuts!

Thanks,
Blossom 1007 :) :)

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there try this

Right click anywhere on the destop and select personalize
On the left hand side of the resulting window you will see Adjust font size (dpi)
Accept the warning
Select Default size (96 dpi)
Accept the warning and you should be done

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you for the response.

It didn't work! When I got to the Adjust font line, it was already designated at 96 dpi. I redid it, did a restart but things are still very big...even my cursor!

Any other suggestions?

Blossom1007

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets check your display settings

Run personalize again but this time select Display settings
Then note what the resolution is set to

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Resolution arrow is all the way down on LOW
800 x 600 pixels

Does NVIDIA have anything to do with this??

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Up the resolution on the slider to whatever looks comfortable to you

Try 1280x800 first

Have you just updated your driver ?

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you. This seems to have done the trick. However, one more question. Do you know what I did to make this LARGE change in the first place? Was it the incorrect shut down. I did not change any drivers.

NOTE: Although I have had a PC for awhile, I am not too savvy with all the various adjustments (I'm in my 60s and still learning). It makes me crazy when something occurs that I do not understand. Getting HELP has often been difficult...Geeks To GO has been my savior!!!

Thanks again
Blossom1007

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It was probably caused by not shutting down correctly, using the shutdown menu ensures that everything closes down in an orderly fashion. Glad you are fixed though. Enjoy

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You can find the size of text by clicking on the "View" button above the address bar. It will say "Text Size".

Also, you can change the size of your desktop icons by clicking on the desktop, push the CTRL button down, then use the scroller on the mouse to change the size.

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Helpful...thanks
Blossom