Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PXE error preventing boot up

• Please log in to reply

adams0423

adams0423

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Have a Compaq Presario V2306US. When I power it on, it flashes a Compaq logo (fraction of a second) and then shows the following:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(x)/8130/810X PCII Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Left here, it will cycle through this screen forever. I pulled the harddrive and found that it was dead, so I ordered and installed a replacement. Even with the new, blank drive in, the screen cycles.

I cannot boot to a CD (it never gets that far).
I cannot get into the BIOS (have hit F10 a million times, it never changes the process, only beeps at me).
I have removed the harddrive, memory, and the PCI wireless card with no change.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Have you tried the F12 key instead? I think this should launch the boot menu - if so, then just select CD as the boot device (making sure a bootable CD is in the drive obviously!)

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I've tried booting while pressing every F key (no profanity intended.... yet) with no luck. I just tried F12 to confirm.
I believe I could disable PXE boot if I could get to the BIOS, but can't seem to get there.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yes if you could get into the bios, then you could disable network boot. F12 should allow you to select the boot device without needing to get into the bios. However if it's not responding to F12 either then that's not much help!

You are using the laptops built-in keyboard aren't you?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ahh - just been reading the manual for that thing - try the ESC key instead...

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thanks, I tried the Escape key as well with no luck. I will try connecting an external keyboard as well, but I did just receive an email back from HP support telling me it is a known symptom of a bad motherboard (with a link for a $445 replacement). Definitely not worth that...

I appreciate your help!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You might want to try disconnecting the power, removing the battery for a few minutes & then try again. It's unlikely to make any difference but may be worth a go.