Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Keeps reading/writing to disk

• Please log in to reply

txDad

txDad

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My disk light pulses about once per second. I used the task list to discover that lsass.exe is reading/writing to disk. I used ZoneAlarm to confirm that no network activity is happening. I selectively booted using the instructions for a clean game boot from Microsoft: disable system.ini, win.ini, do not load startup items, disable all non-microsoft services. I walked the services list and stopped each running service one at a time. No change: the disk still gets hit once per second.

Lsass.exe cannot be stopped in the task manager.

I used system restore to backtrack several checkpoints without success. I made sure to go back two weeks because I have noticed this behavior since the weekend (~2 days ago).

I am sitting behind a Netgear WAP/router; all other PCs on the network are W2K and are unaffected.

I routinely run AdAware & SpyBot with the latest updates: both turn up nothing obvious. I have McAfee running & updated: I scanned the entire disk & found nothing. All windows updates are up-to-date.

Other than this, my system appears to be functioning normally and at full speed.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Dell Dimension 4600 p4 3GHz 1.5MB 80GB PNY 5700 VE 256 XP Home SP2

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
lsass does perform reads and writes to disk as a natural function of what it does....not sure that this is an issue

What other processes are running?

txDad

txDad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have attached the task manager view when I am booted with the minimal game configuration.

I am new to XP; if this activity is normal then I am fine with it. I simply noticed the disk activity and thought that for an idle machine it seemed to be a bit much.

Thank you for your help.

Attached File  TaskManager.bmp   329.16KB   205 downloads

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
nope, that's normal