Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

My Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
I have a Dell CPi 4800GT. It is a Pentium2 400. I run Office XP and Windows XP on the poor little thing with only 64MB of RAM. I know it's probably just the Software:Specs load I have on it, but Programs take forever to start. It takes about two minutes for Notepad to start, three minutes for Firefox, fur for any office app, and I don't want to talk about Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, etc. Is there anyway to tweak this?

PS: It takes about 4 minutes to boot up. Not very handy for a laptop!

Advertisements

partyben

partyben

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I dont know if you'd want to do this but if you put windows 2000 Pro on it it'll probably run a [bleep] of a lot faster as it'll be XP taking up most of the Laptops Resources.

:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm surprised it loads at all...You are way below spec.

I was working on a machine with 128kb and I was ready to hurt myself waiting for it to load.

Forget win2k...drop back to win98se...I don't mean to be dismissive, but you are just asking too much of that poor machine.

partyben

partyben

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I did have a PII 400Mhz Laptop , to be fair with 128Mb of RAM and it ran fine with the programs you have listed when programmed with win2k.

Obviously Win98Se would probably run even faster.

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
I have a copy of 98. I guess I should be nice to it. I just love XP so much...

Edit: I just foound out from some tracks that:

It came with 95- then upgraded to 98- then to 98SE- then to ME- then to 2000- then to XP- then to 2003- then back to XP. Can you believe that? See an IT Pro sold it to be for real cheap...

Edited by jake6535, 04 May 2005 - 10:15 AM.

partyben

partyben

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
No Wonder its so slow!!

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
i removed the traces of all other OSes. it barely sped it up though. but it sure helped my 4 gig drive!

oemphoenix

oemphoenix

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hehe know the feeling - i completely gave up on my old PII laptop :tazz:

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
well, i gave up my old 386 laptop. I ran ME on it. :tazz:

partyben

partyben

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
To properly get rid of the old operating systems and all upgraded components of the old operating system you'll need to wipe the laptop and start fresh with whatever OS you feel will run most efficiently for you. (98se, Win2k).

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Why not try keeping XP, get yourself more memory, clean the garbage off the HD, defraq and see how it goes? Your RAM amount is already hurting you in that your Lap top may be using the HD as a virual memory because of insufficient memory. That will slow you down.
Ron

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*

Why not try keeping XP, get yourself more memory, clean the garbage off the HD, defraq and see how it goes?  Your RAM amount is already hurting you in that your Lap top may be using the HD as a virual memory because of insufficient memory.  That will slow you down.
Ron

View Post

It says it's increasing Virtual memory all the time. I've already got me up to 128. They had some of my memory on the clearence rack at Best Buy. :tazz:

oemphoenix

oemphoenix

• Pip
  • 4 posts
go for it then :tazz:

clearance !! ;)