Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Page numbers in Word

• Please log in to reply

jford1906

jford1906

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I work at a University formatting dissertations. I am trying to get the pagination right and Word is not helping. Here's what I want to do. The first section needs to have the page numbers centered in the footer and be in lowercase roman numerals. The second section needs to start back at 1 and be in arabic numerals in the upper right header.

I've put a section break between the two sections and tried the paginate that way. I can get the two sections to have the different types of numbers, and leave the number off the first page, but both sections get numbered twice. When I get the first section to have the roman numbers at the bottom, the second section has arabic numbers at the bottom. The same thing happens when I put the regular numbers at the top in the second section. When I try to delete the page numbers from just one section it deletes them from the entire document.

Help! :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could do it this way

Open the document then use save as to copy document as A, delete second section of this document then save as B, re-open A and delete first section then save as C, make changes to B and C then open new document, press insert then file, insert B, make sure cursor is at end of B then press insert then file then insert C then save as D

Edited by Keith, 04 May 2005 - 08:03 AM.

jford1906

jford1906

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Didn't work. The documents were formatted correctly but when I combined them they switched to the same formatting at the first document inserted. Do I need to put next page section breaks in before I insert the next file?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Make sure you inser the 2nd file to a new page and they should retain their identity

jford1906

jford1906

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Even when I get the cursor on a new page before I insert the next file, the formatting is lost. I've tried just putting it on the new page, and I've tried separating them with page breaks and section breaks and it still doesn't work.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is from Word

To create a different header or footer for a section, you need to break the connection between the sections. Click in the section for which you want to create a different header or footer. On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Link to Previous to break the connection between the header and footer in the current section and the previous one.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Word press help then microsoft office help then type troubleshoot headers and footers