Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot after installing new graphics card!

• Please log in to reply

Ray-blu

Ray-blu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all

Hopefully someone here can help me resolve an issue with a new Sapphire HD 4550 graphics card that I installed today on my Acer desktop. When I boot up the system with the card in the PCIe slot, the computer starts and then nothing else happens. Nothing comes up on the monitor so I can't access the BIOS. Before installing the card I tried disabling the integrated graphics card (Radeon X1250 on an Acer F690GVM motherboard), but I couldn't find anywhere in the BIOS to do this or a jumper on the MB. Therefore, I disabled it in Windows Device Manager and uninstalled the drivers.

I managed to get Windows (Vista 32-bit) to recognise the Sapphire card and install the drivers, but only if I set the BIOS to load the onboard graphics by default. Under these conditions I can see the fan on the Sapphire turning. If I then restart the computer and reset the BIOS to load the PCIe graphics card by default, the system stalls on start-up again.

I am wondering how I can disable the onboard graphics because this might be the problem.

My system has an AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core processor with 2 GB RAM and a 300 Watt power supply. The PCIe slot worked fine with the NVIDIA 8500 GT graphics card that I tried recently (which I returned and replaced with the 4550).

Any ideas how I can get this card to work?

Many thanks!

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hi Ray-blue,
How are you installing your graphics card? Are you installing drivers BEFORE you plug-in the physical card or do you install the drivers WHILE the card is in the slot? Some hardware components require a certain method of install to work properly. If you're having issues with the way you installed the card, try the other installation method and see if that works. Make sure you uninstall the device drivers in device manager before you try the other method of installation and have your on-board graphics enabled. If you have any questions just post back here.