Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook issues - forum answers not helping

• Please log in to reply

ARoberts

ARoberts

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear all

We are having a nightmare with outlook application - i have worked through all the previous responses to other people answering on this but to no avail. Please please could someone get back to me and let me know what information you require.

So far i've tried:
removing the problematic windows update
detect and repair
clicking outlook today each day

I could really really do with some help on this. At the moment i click on 1 email and it previews it, when i click on the next i sometimes have to wait around anything up to 4 minutes.

It is the same when moving between calendar and inbox or other subfolders.

Antony

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Your email folders may be getting too large (ie too many messages in them)?

ARoberts

ARoberts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
nope my .pst file is under 1Gb, i have read the limit to be 2Gb. My inbox has about 10 messages in it. There are other emails in subfolders, but even clicking between one's within the main inbox takes about 3 minutes a click, it is getting worse each day, then all of a sudden 1 day it may work fine for a while then all of a sudden start going slow again. It is only on outlook, as soon as i tab to another program they all work fine at proper speed.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just in case you may need the following info while solving problem:

You may experience performance problems when you are working with items in a large .pst file or in a large .ost file in Outlook 2007
How to manage .pst files in Outlook 2007, in Outlook 2003, and in Outlook 2002
Outlook 2003 takes longer than expected to populate the preview pane when you receive an encrypted e-mail message
Description of known interoperability issues with the Outlook E-mail Security update

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Solution Center
Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Solution Center
How to troubleshoot performance issues in Outlook 2007

Archive your pst. Defragment your disk. See if there's still a delay, if so it may be attributable to Outlook polling for new mail, and may be a slowdown on your network, your mail host's network, somewhere in-between, or due to a virus checker that is acting as a proxy mailserver. First-time-only delays are usually caused by libraries being loaded. Once the library is loaded, there's no comparable delay on the second and subsequent repetitions of the same task. My guess would be that a month ago you downloaded an update, which changed which libraries need to be loaded and in what order.