Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

resetting a used computer

• Please log in to reply

Butterfly's

Butterfly's

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!
I was just given a used computer. Its old and it has all kinds of stuff that I doubt I will ever open. I would like to just restore the computer to its factory settings and start all over again with the programs that I like. But I have no idea how exactly to do that. I would also like to save all the music thats on here. I love the persons music taste that gave it to me so I would like to keep that, but there is tons of it. way too much to burn onto cds (17.4 GB) . It would take months. Also before I decided that there is just way too much stuff on here I uploaded all my pictures from my camera and its already been deleted from my card and I know there's a way to save those to a cd but I'm not sure how to do that.
I am very computer dumb if you cant tell. Most of my computer knowledge is very recent. :/

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
17.4 GB
It'd take 4 DVDs, but since the computer is old, it probably doesn't have DVD burner.
Probably your best option is to get USB flash drive (4GB for ~$20) to move those files to another computer. Same for pictures.

As for restoring, depending on Compaq age, it may have Recovery Partition.
Look at the bottom of computer screen, when it starts. You may see something like:
F10 -Recovery
If it's there, press F10 key to start restoring computer to its original state.