Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive unable to boot, but fully accessible when used as external

• Please log in to reply

jefffffffrey91

jefffffffrey91

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Here is my situation - PC running Windows XP Professional.

My friends sends me a link which eventually leads to it being a trojan horse that infects my computer. It completely takes over, disabling all my anti virus, not allowing me to run or install any type of anti virus, and even blocking websites that offer virus removal help (re-routing of IP). In an effort to fix my computer, I used the windows CD and tried to use the repair and recovery mode to reinstall windows. Now the computer just hangs and nothing can be done.

The good thing is that I can still access my harddrive as an external on another computer via sata usb cables. My question is whether there is a way for me to try and fix the boot and startup files on my computer so that I can salvage my computer and fix it the right way? Thanks so much and happy thanksgiving!

Advertisements

w.e.stitzer

w.e.stitzer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Try using "The Ultimate Boot CD", a free download from the net. I've used it to save a couple of hard drives that had corrupted address sectors that made the drive appear as 'dead'. It has all hard-drive manufacturer's drive utilities, plus a ton of other utilities (some dangerous if you're not careful!). You'll be asked what you want to do, then what brand of drive you have. It will then check to see what's with the drive if it can be recognized. If your system is not working, have someone download the ISO file and burn it to a CD, then boot to the CD.

Edited by w.e.stitzer, 28 November 2008 - 12:22 AM.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

The good thing is that I can still access my harddrive as an external on another computer via sata usb cables

Be careful - otherewise the infections on the hard drive may find their way onto the other, non-infected pc.

You could use the other pc to perform all the virus/spyware removal whilst your drive is connected to it.

jefffffffrey91

jefffffffrey91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
How should I go about using the ultimate boot cd?

and

Is there a way to start from square one and completely restore the original boot files on the existing drive?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I fyou don't need any data from that drive, why not to boot from Windows CD, and format the drive?