Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gaming issues

• Please log in to reply

masterb7

masterb7

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
first i'd like to say i was not completely sure wether this should go under an other section than this one, but as this issue is almost only game linked, i post it here.

im been having a strange issue for quite a long time now. the point is, one day, my games suddenly started running way slower then usual. even weirder, other aspects of the game do run normally. a timed game for example, where the timer runs normally, and your character moves double as slow as normally (you can realize that you wouldn't like that, would you?)
as soon as this problem came up, i virus scanned my computer, nothing came out and the games still ran slowly. i searched the web for a solution but couldnt find anything usefull. So i was hoping, could someone out there help me out with this?

ps: exuse any bad grammar, im actually dutch :)

Advertisements

10Ck3D

10Ck3D

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
i would start here: http://www.bleepingc...topic87058.html
it's a tutorial on some stuff you should do if your computer is slower than usual

there might be some stuff running in the background

1. press ctrl + alt + delete

2. go to processes

3. check whats running on your pc here: http://www.bleepingc...r.com/startups/

and an hijackthis scan would never hurt: http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

i would recommend these steps because if your games worked and just suddenly started to be slower it could be malware

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
thanks, very helpfull. now, looking at the fact im stil scanning my computer. (as said in the guide) i cant post a hijack file just yet. however i already had a look at my processes: and its no good. it seems that more than one malicious process is working at the background. Question is, some of these disguise themselves as non-harmfull programs. how do i keep them apart? and how do i remove these threats?

i found:

mdm.exe
msnmsgr.exe
msmsgs.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
svchost.exe (i found four of these!)
ashSimpl.exe(this one was not on the list, could have something to do with my antivirus scanner)
ashMaiSv.exe(same counts for this)
explorer.exe
csrss.exe
alg.exe
taskmgr.exe
smss.exe
spoolsv.exe
system

i also got not-active systems (niet-actieve systemen considering im dutch) on the bottom off the page.

thougth i should post these already. for personal reasons i will probaly not be able to send in a hijack file before next wednesday or so, forgive me for that. And thanks for the help till now.

10Ck3D

10Ck3D

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
post an HiJackThis log in the HJT log section, i don't know much about what to remove but the experts will know best
:)

Edited by 10Ck3D, 30 November 2008 - 11:07 PM.

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
ill do that, thanks a lot :)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I feel the need to step in and reinforce the proper instructions as to what you need to do:

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Again, once the experts have helped you out, please come back to this thread if you still need more assistance. We would be glad to assist.

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
slight misunderstanding starjax, ck gave me the link to that page, and i followed every step on it. On the end, some stuff was removed but not everything, and for which i have already posted a log on the malware forum.