Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Leave the PC on?

• Please log in to reply

Jaitan

Jaitan

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I just bought what I have named..the "Hellbeast Assassin" :) ...a gaming pc i have had built. it has 7 fans that i can see
including 6 that came with the tower itself...

The question i have is..should i keep this baby running all the time for updates and keeping it cool (assuming that is heates up after shut down when the fans stop) and prevent everyday reboot stresses
or ...ought it be turned off every night?

This isnt about power useage..its about keeping the PC in the best condition.

Thanks in advance
Jaitan

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There are other threads on this topic that you might want to look at to see all the views.

There are many issues, such as were your disk drives designed to run all the time, do you have a really good UPS, do you have an air conditioner, do you have an over temp setup to shut everything down, do you have a fire system, etc.

I personally would not leave the computer on all the time, but the thermal shock is reduced if you do, although that is just one of many factors to consider.

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I usually have my computer on all the time. it only restarts with windows updates or when i install something that requires a restart. Never had any problems with it. I usualy have it set to go into power save mode. which shuts off all drives, lower fans speed(unless temps go up then it will up the rpm's).

I am running vista home premium.

You got alot of fans int here, so if they are placed properly for good airflow, you shouldnt have any probs with heat issues. I onlt have 3 fans , with an intel core2 duo E8400 3.0 ghz cpu, and a geforce gtx 260 overclocked.

and at idle the cpu is at around 30 or below. and the GPU sits at 35 C.

as long as you dont have temp probs with ur computer, it wont hurt it to keep it on. My room gets too quiet with my comp off.

Jaitan

Jaitan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Cool..(no pun) Is there a site youd recommend obtaining a temperature measurement for the pc from?