Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop running WIN XP Pro. I have always used it with the zoom modem/router with no problem. Still a $5.00 bargain for a Linksys Wireless-N Notebook adapter just couldn't be passed up. I haven't a single clue on how wireless works and if this adapter is of any use to me. Can I use it with a laptop or is there other equipment needed or software? I really need a tutorial on setting up wireless with this adapter or another one.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Firstly lets look at whether the wireless adapter is going to be any use to you:
If you intend to use it at home (or wherever you normally connect to the internet), you'll need a wireless router or access point. If your current router doesn't support wireless then you'll need to buy one that does. Failing that, you may find it useful if you wish to use wifi hotspots for example when you're out & about.

To install it, you need to install the driver first. The wireless adapter should have come with a CD containing the driver but if it didn't you can download this from Linksys's website. Run the CD (or the download) & follow the instructions on screen to install the driver. DO NOT connect the adapter until it tells you to. This applies to both pcmcia (pc card) & USB devices.

Any configuration that may need doing is likely to depend partly on the router you are using. We can help you with that if and when you reach that stage.