Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange lag/stutter in games that only started recently

• Please log in to reply

la_z_boy

la_z_boy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I recently got Call of Duty: World at War and played through the whole game fine. Then a couple days ago I decided to play through it again, and found that all of a sudden when there's a lot going on screen, the game doesn't so much as slow down, but becomes very jerky, all the character animation will stutter constantly, it's like watching a movie in slow motion, but instead of a fluid slow-motion, it will go fast - slow - fast - slow, and the whole thing is instensley annoying.

I've also noticed that during the cut scenes while the level is loading, the cinematics and voice-over are incredibly stuttery and choppy, with the sound skipping in 1 second intervals (e.g. "our mission is...so that we will...brave men...on the island..." etc). This used NOT to happen.

Here is a basic rundown of my PC specs:
Processor: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.40GHz
The Motherboard: MSI MS-7173
Total RAM: 2047 MB
Used Memory: 923 MB
Memory usage: 45%
On-board Sound: Realtek HD Audio
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1950 GT 256mb

I have tried the latest graphics card drivers and older ones, and have tried to install the latest and much older HD Audio drivers; the problem still persists. I also have the November update for Direct X. I have also experimented with trying to delete all and any audio/video codec packs. I have also made the pagefile a lot bigger than it was...maybe that is a bad thing? Some forums say the bigger your pagefile, the better your games will run...

The whole thing kind of started with Dead Space. That was extremely stuttery until I read a forum saying it was a sound issue and so I updated and tinkered with sound drivers and hardware acceleration in dxdiag and it got rid of a lot of stuttering, but now I'm noticing that my games as a whole have started running more slowly and stuttering more than they used to. I also have Far Cry 2 which has lag that gets progressively worse until the framrates are unplayable... All in all a messed up machine!

Sorry to post such a long and complex story, but if anyone has any helpful ideas they will be greatly appreciated!!!
Raph

Advertisements