Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Test Failure

• Please log in to reply

crbullseye

crbullseye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes the drive is seen in BOIS, the boot priority list the hard drive as the 1st priority! Would pulling the battery and putting it back in do anything, besides changing the date?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It wouldn't hurt in case there is something weird causing bios to mess up.
Also, do you know the manufacturer of the hard drive. Take a look at it. It would be a good thing to try the manufacturers diagnostics on it (in my signature).
Create a bootable cd and it will run the tests.

crbullseye

crbullseye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My hard drive is bad! Did a diganostic test on HD and had critical errors! Guess that data is gone. Thanks to veryone who had ideas!!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Don't give up yet on the data. We may be able to recover it. You can attach the drive as a slave to another computer.
Or get a USB enclosure, put the drive in and try that way.

Let us know if there is anything else you need.
Questions are always welcome.

Please keep us informed of the outcome. We always like to know.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Don't give up yet on the data. We may be able to recover it. You can attach the drive as a slave to another computer.
Or get a USB enclosure, put the drive in and try that way.

Let us know if there is anything else you need.
Questions are always welcome.

Please keep us informed of the outcome. We always like to know.

I second 123Runner, I have had a few HDs that were what I like to call sick. They were unable to boot to the OS, but they worked well enough in an enclosure that I could get atleast a good portion of my improtant data off. Usually, 9 out of every 10 files. To me that was worth it. Then I just destroyed the hard drive and chucked it (being a chemist has its benefits :)).

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 04 December 2008 - 02:33 PM.

crbullseye

crbullseye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm too stubborn to give up, thanks for the advice. I have gotten some recovery software and am hooking the drive up as a slave. Keeping fingers crossed. Let you know how things worked out tomorrow.