Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IS THAT TRUE?

• Please log in to reply

arpitt

arpitt

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
one of my friend said :

we do not need router on Linux we just need to install proxies on Linux servers they will work like routers. is that true ?

if yes, can u please tell me the process how we can do this on Linux ??

if not can u tell me how we an connect router with Linux as we do with hyper terminal in windows OS.

Advertisements

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Using Linux as a router is one thing, because you can configure it as a DHCP controller. But more simply you can use your router for what it's made for, which is a DHCP controller, and then set your Linux distro to obtain IP settings manually? Definitely not anymore complicated than Windows, just a different way to do it. You're using Hyper Terminal for a telephone line connection?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can setup Linux to bridge two ethernet connections, but you need to have two interfaces on the machine. Quite honestly, it is easier to use a hardware router to connect all the machines to and then you can have any machine on, rather than having to have the Linux machine on in order to use another machine. You can also do the same thing with Windoze, bridging the interfaces, although it would not be as secure.

You need not setup DHCP in order to use it, but it would make it easier. You can manually set the IP addresses.