Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restarting randomly

• Please log in to reply

Yellowstars

Yellowstars

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
My computer restarts randomly. It usually happens when I load my full screen game Diablo 2, usually within 5 mins, sometimes sooner. But it also happens, less often, while browsing the internet. I've done some reading but I think I'm just more confused.. I've read on psu.. mine is 330W. Could I need more for my game? if so, recommendations? I've tried to install the latest video card drivers also but when I go to see if they're working it still says my old one(ATI radeon xpress 200 series). I'm pretty much computer dumb so if you need to know any.. specs or anything please tell me how to find so I can tell you.

Thank you ! :)

(Btw, I wasnt sure where to post this as I dont really know my problem.. )

Edited by Yellowstars, 30 November 2008 - 06:18 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART. Click APPLY and OK.

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

your computer may be experiencing some overheating due to dust buildup. Can you open the side of the case and inspect the fan(s), air intake vents (front, back and sometimes side) and the processor's heatsink?

A few pictures of heatsinks in the following links.

http://www.google.co...l=en&q=heatsink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_sink

The heatsink fins will often become compacted with dust, and the fan blades will aquire buildup as well, all of which prevents good air flow and resulting cooling of the processor. The power supply (where the power cord plugs into the back of the computer) also has a fan and air flow vents, both of which can become clogged with dust. Overheating of either or both the power supply and processor can cause the computer to shutdown as you've described.

The best way to remove the dust buildup is with compressed air, which is available in cans from most any general merchandise store, office supply store and electronics store if you don't have access to an air compressor. When using compressed air to clean, don't allow the air flow to spin the fan blades. Hold the ones you can and use a toothpick or similar to hold the ones you can't get to, like the power supply fan (back of the machine).

Do NOT use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust. It can create static electricity which might arc to your computer's components thereby damaging it.

Yellowstars

Yellowstars

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
STOP: 0x00000050 ( 0xfef0ffef, 0x00000008, 0xfef0ffef, 0x00000000)

It also says towards the top page_fault_in_nonpaged_area.

Edited by Yellowstars, 01 December 2008 - 09:02 PM.