Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD+/- RW DL not functioning

• Please log in to reply

MarcoS81

MarcoS81

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Everyone,

My laptop, Advent 8111 has recently had a software malfunction.

I got in a tech guy and he erased all my windows system and re installed it.

Everything works fine though whenever I put a cd or dvd into my laptop, it wont read it.

I can't install my printer and other things on the laptop.

In fact, when I click on the my computer icon, I don't even see any Drive there, apart from the Local Disk Drive.

I start to think I haven't got the drivers for it.

I can't find them anywhere.

Please help.

Thank you very much

Marco

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Please download the attached zip file and extract it's contents (right-click-->extract all).
Double-click the extracted file (xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs) and reboot.

Please note: this fix will restore your cd-rom drive in 'My Computer' only if it's a Windows Registry issue.
It will not restore the drive if there are other issues causing the problem.

Don't forget to reboot after running the script file.

If it doesn't work, I would check that the cd-rom housing is pushed all the way home (not the drawer, it's outer casing).
My grandson's latop had this same problem. Turns out he'd recently dropped it a couple of feet onto a carpeted floor.
CD-drive disappeared from 'My Computer' and also would not read anything. I investigated and found the cd-rom casing
had come out slightly, just enough to disconnect partially from the contact pins at the back. I slackened the screws holding the cd-rom unit
in place, gave the unit a firm push inwards, tightened the screws and lo-and-behold it now works fine and it's back in 'My Computer'.
Just thought I should pass that on. If you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself, get an experienced friend to do it.

Attached Files

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 01 December 2008 - 08:33 AM.

MarcoS81

MarcoS81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
fantastic, thank you very much, works well now.
Thanks again for your help it made my day.

Regards

M

MarcoS81

MarcoS81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
by the way it was the cd drive which was a bit out of place!

So then all at once it re appeared.