Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

compaq laptop wont start

• Please log in to reply

magicalskittlz

magicalskittlz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My compaq laptop wont start completely?
I have a compaq evo n600c laptop and when i try to start it up it wont go past the compaq logo. above the compaq logo says 524288 KB OK then after a few minutes, under the logo it says F10=ROM Based Setup

if i dont hit F10 and wait a few minutes it goes to a black screen that says Non-System disk or disk error
replace and strike any key when ready

so I hit F10 and after a few minutes above the compaq logo it says 1782=Disc Controller failure, but then it goes to a blue screen that says

Computer Setup
File Security Tools Advanced

Under the file tab it has options
System information
save to floppy (unselectable)
restore from floppy (unselectable)
restore defaults
ignore changes and exit
save changes and exit

under the security tab it says
administrator password
power-on password
password options (unselectable)
drivelock passwords (unselectable)
device security
system IDs

under the tools tab it says
battery calibration
Hdd self test options

under the advanced tab it says
language
boot options
device options

i'v tried almost all the options from each tab and nothing happens or an error occurs, if anyone knows whats wrong or how to fix it PLEASE help... is the drive ruined?? or can i at least take that out and get all my files copied to another computer. If there is anyway to get the computer to start please tell me!!!

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
It sounds like your hard drive is failed and you'll have to replace it.

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Please read this for further information about your error message: http://www.computerh...es/ch000446.htm[/url]

Not necessarily the hard drive itself. It may be the IDE controller to which the drive is connected. That's a motherboard component.
If that's the case, replacing the hard drive would be no use until the motherboard is fixed or replaced. Usually when the hard drive
fails the error message does not refer to the "controller".

Note to moderators: above link is not a rival's forum page. It's a short tutorial.

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 01 December 2008 - 09:00 AM.

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Just a thought -- faced with your problem which may mean one of several things -- I would get myself an "IDE Controller Card" which fits into a PCI slot. Disconnect your drive's ribbon cable from the motherboard and connect it to the IDE port on the new card. Boot up your PC and if it works give yourself a pat on the back. If it doesn't, then jt1990 is probably right, you need a new hard disk.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Just a thought -- faced with your problem which may mean one of several things -- I would get myself an "IDE Controller Card" which fits into a PCI slot. Disconnect your drive's ribbon cable from the motherboard and connect it to the IDE port on the new card. Boot up your PC and if it works give yourself a pat on the back. If it doesn't, then jt1990 is probably right, you need a new hard disk.

Its a laptop so that isn't an option. Instead, if he has another computer, he can get an adapter to connect his laptop hard drive to that computer an check it out that way.

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
ah... how about chip creep? Not exactly the same situation but general idea, after all it is a laptop... Happens lots when with computers when they go from hot to cold and back... maybe the connection to the hard drive is loose? try pulling it out and reinserting? Wouldn't hurt?