Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows XP Fails to boot, Fan Goes Wild

• Please log in to reply

DennConn

DennConn

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have a Dell 8400, With Windows XP.....

I spilled coffee on the keyboard and successifully shut down the system and power off.

After removing the keyboard, washing the coffee, and blow drying it for over a day, i plugged it in and tried to reboot.

On Booting i got no bootup icon, but the fan in the tower built up to sounding like a jet engine...So i powered down ....

I powered up and down several times and even removed the keyboard....

On about the 8th time i powered up...i got a normal boot...and everything worked fine all day....no problems...

I shut down normally...and the next day back to no booting and the fan building up to a jet engine again for two days and about 15 boot tried...

I just did another power on....and off...and the next power on....and i booted up normally...Which is how i am using it now to try to do some trouble shooting...

Can anyone help ....is this a power supply,,,, which intermittently turns on the fan to run away jet speed...I am using the system now and it seems fine...but don't want to turn it off...as i might never get it back on.........

Help...any suggestions would be helpful...

Denny

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Have you tried using a new keyboard?

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Gnomad,

Yes, out of the three times it has started up normally out of the 30 to 40 times it didn't start up at all, it started two times without a keyboard plugged in....and once with a new keyboard plugged in....The two times it started without a keyboard plugged in..i plugged in the old keyboard and rebooted and everything worked fine.

This last time i shut down and put a new keyboard on....I tried about 15 times to start it and the fan with the jet engine took off...i turned the power switch on and off that many times....However, i then opened the box and tried a few more times, without success...then i took a can of air and blew the what i think is the aluminum parts around the fan below the power supply...and tried again...and it booted up...normally....

I hate to turn it off again, for fear it won't boot back up...

Still open for suggestions...

Denny

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have now had the system up for two days....running fine...am listening to iTunes radio as i type this....once i got it booted up...I just log off at night and on in the morning...i have done that several times...i can also do a reboot and it comes up fine....

I am thinking the problem comes when i first turn on the power strip and applypower to the system....without pushing the on button on the front of the tower...so it just goes "Jet Fan " from the initial application of power to the tower, not from turning the system on or trying to boot....

could it be a fuse or something when i first apply power to the system....(not turn it on to boot)...I never get to that step...

when i shut the computer down, i do a shut down..and then turn off the power from the power strip....

it must be something on the initial application of power from the power strip to the computer...not turning on the computer to boot...

i am afraid to turn it off, but will do it after i get some owrk done..

denny

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Here is the latest.....
We lost power in the house yesterday, and i had to try to do a start up....

when i start the system up, i do two things...
1. turn on the power strip....(applies power to the box)
2. press the on button in front of the box ...(boots up win xp pro)

again when i applied power to the box, i got the Jet engine wild fan going......

however, when i opened the box, and applied power to the box, it was quiet, and i pushed the on button and got a normal boot....

The problem is in the application of power to the box.....it must be in a fuse of something...
or some application of power....

Still lost

Denny