Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cdrw/dvd SM308 help

• Please log in to reply

mouse101

mouse101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I have an old e-machine pc that I am giving to my son to mess about with/improve. The optical drive is dead and I need a replacement. Bearing in mind that I know very little about these things, can anyone tell me what replacement part I can buy that will fit! It runs on Windows ME if that helps!

Thanks

Mouse101

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
All IDE cd drives for desktop computers are a standard fit as they all have the same case dimensions and use the same connectors.
Just make sure you choose 'parallel ATA' (PATA) type and not the newer 'serial (SATA) type because the connectors are different.
Most retail cd/dvd drives on the shelves are the traditional parallel type anyway so you're unlikely to pick the wrong type, but best to check.
All retail boxes should tell you the minimum system you need to for that CD-drive, so just read the box before you buy.
In particular the important thing to write down is the speed of the CPU inside the PC (2.4GHz for example) & how much ram the PC has. Then check those details against what it says on the new box before buying it.

When removing the old drive, check the jumper-pin position on it's backplate (it's like a little white or black plastic 'bridge' across two pins).
It can be set to one of three positions -- slave (SL), master (MA), or cable-select (SEL). Make sure the jumper pin on the new drive is set in the same position before fitting it in the drive bay and connecting it up. Windows ME should detect the new drive automatically and you should see it's icon in 'My Computer'.

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 02 December 2008 - 05:24 AM.

mouse101

mouse101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated.