Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant stop vista sidebar from starting at boot ? ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
Having some very slow start up problems and am trying to optomise the start up programs to see if it speeds things up a bit.

From turning on the pc, it takes roughly 2 minutes or so to get to the windows password screen.
When i enter my password, it then takes a further 2 minutes or so to get to a workable desktop. In fact , , i wouldnt mind getting rid of the password page as well as its only me in the house using the pc so i dont need a password at all !!

When i have entered msconfig to access the start up programs i have optomised it as best as possible but its still very slow booting up.

I have clicked on the propertie tag on the sidebar, , but to my suprise, the "start sidebar at start up " box is already unchecked indicating that it shouldnt even be starting up at all until i click to open it up, , , very strange. Once i get to windows screen, , its the sidebar that takes all the time to load ,before i get to a workable enviroment , so i want to prevent it from loading at all and would rather start it myself once the pc is up and running.

Any ideas anyone

PS: My pc is clean from virus, malware etc , memtest shows memory is all fine , all HDDs are fine and other than that, the pc is in good shape without any other errors , , its just this slow boot up and shutdown thats bugging me.
Its a brand new pc that i built myself and is only a little over 3 weeks old. For the first 2 weeks, boot up and shutting down used to take less than 30, 40 seconds each, , , its taking 3 times that now.

Anyone have any ideas about the sidebar start up problem ? ? ?

Edited by rxkevco, 01 December 2008 - 02:18 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can try this.
Hit the windows key and the R key at the same time to bring up the run box. Then type in msconfig and hit enter. In the startup tab, down a ways, you can uncheck the sidebar.exe. This may fix the problem or it may be some other problem, but it's worth a try.

SRX660

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi there, ,
Its sorted now thankyou.
I dont know how, , it just took a couple of reboots for some reason but now its not starting up with the rest of the start up programs.
The slow start up and shutdown times havent changed however , , really dont know whats causing this. Its giving me so much greif. When i built this pc, for the first few weeks, it was lightening fast at everything, , botting up, shutting down, opening files and floders, , web searches, opening web pages, , , but now, ever so slow. I would say that my old 2gig ram pentium D 3.4ghx system was faster.

Even after overclocking the Q6600 to 3.1ghz and altering the ram timing to suit the increased fsb its only marginally faster at what it does, , and the long booting still remains.
Dont get me wrong, a 2 minute+ boot time isnt slow really, , its just that for the first few weeks, this system was doing it in a fraction of that time.