Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuttering with mouse, audio, and video

• Please log in to reply

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
The audio, the typing, the mouse cursor, and the video all stutters. And just to note, the stuttering is very brief. Oh and yes, I could always use more RAM, but that shouldn't be an issue with this problem since I didn't have it before I reformatted and reinstalled Windows.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Do you have a video card, or do you have integrated or "on board" graphics?

When you installed Windows Updates, did you install anything for hardware off of Microsoft's website?

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have an actual video card, the 128 MB ATI Mobility Radeon x300 that is running off of Omega drivers. If I recall correctly, I never installed any hardware updates off of Microsoft's website. Perhaps I could try going back to my default video card drivers to see what happens?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I would actually prefer to see you update the video drivers. This message includes a link to ATI's website. They will be the most recent for that card, and may help --- video drivers are sometimes the most flaky.

Please visit this link: http://game.amd.com/...p=xp/radeonx-xp

Under option #2, there are the flat out display drivers. Save those to your desktop for easy access, and open the file. The install wizard will guide you from there. Once you restart your computer, you may notice a few things "out of whack" such as your resolution changing, etc. All you'll need to do is switch it back to normal and it will stay there. After that, just let me know if the stuttering continues. This will at least give me one less variable to include.

If you have questions, feel free to ask!

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
During setup, I had the message, "Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or or operating system. Setup will now exit."

I can' t use the official ATI drivers for some reason. Only dell's drivers from its Inspiron 6000 drivers page or Omega Drivers work. For the record, I did try reverting to my default drivers for my video card and that didn't work.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Might be best to wipe it again and go through updates one by one until you find which one it is. One of those updates is hurting the PC, but we need to know which one.

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Wipe it again as in reformat and reinstall everything from scratch?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
At this point, I don't see why not. When you did it last time, the issue was fixed. It was a Windows Update which caused everything to stutter again. If we can narrow down what update or installation is causing your problems, there might be more we can do for you. Right now, I think I'm just having a hard time compiling a theory as to why this is happening.

Backup your data and have the drive wiped the same as before. Let me know after you run updates one by one, which causes the issue. Sorry I can't provide you with more information :)

Good luck! :)

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay right now I'm not experiencing any stuttering for some reason. However, I'm guessing that after I reboot my computer I'll probably have the stuttering effect again.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
See if it comes back. Don't assume it will. You simply never know :)

Advertisements

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay, there isn't any stuttering today after I turned on my laptop. I'm not sure I understand what's going on. The last two actions I did was switch my video card's drivers back to the default Dell ones. After finding out that those drivers didn't help, I switched back to my Omega drivers. Again that didn't seem to help. Finally, I tried installing the official ATI drivers with the link you gave me. The setup told me that there isn't a compatible driver. However, it didn't delete the ATI folder it created in my C drive.

So my only conclusion is that somehow the ATI folder created in my C drive is helping me? Then again, my video card is still using the Omega drivers so I'm not sure what's going on.

Edit: Okay I think for now, we can mark the problem as solved.

Edited by Shadow Cloud, 15 December 2008 - 10:39 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
How interesting... So the stuttering is totally finished?

I figured to give you a day or so to make sure, but if it hasn't come back by now, then you're probably alright.

Sadly I can't offer you any reasonable explanation as to why the issue occurred or what fixed it.

In any case, let me know if it starts back up, and enjoy! :)

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
....I spoke too soon. All of a sudden, the stuttering is back. Now, I don't know if this is some strange coincidence, but I recall that on the day my stuttering stopped, I inserted a blank CD-RW into my DVD/CD-RW drive. I was planning on burning some stuff to the CD on that day, but I forgot and left it there until today. So I burned my CD and then shut down my laptop. The next time I booted it up and played a video, the stuttering came back.

Apparently, there might be an issue with my DVD/CD-RW drive; I don't know. What I'm going to do for now is insert a disc in the drive and leave it there to see what happens.

Edit: Something is up with my DVD/CD-RW, I inserted my a game into my drive (Deus Ex) and all of a sudden my stuttering is gone. Perhaps there's something wrong with my current DVD/CD-RW drivers even though they're most updated ones?

Edited by Shadow Cloud, 16 December 2008 - 07:44 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Apparently I never had an audit run on your PC... Follow these instructions please.

(1) Download WinAudit by clicking here. You may want to save this to your Desktop for easy access.

(2) Double click on the WinAudit.exe file

(3) After the application loads, you will see this message, "TO AUDIT YOUR COMPUTER CLICK HERE". Please click on the "here" to run the audit.

(4) You will now see a message stating that WinAudit is examining your computer.

(5) Once the scan is complete, you will have the information right before your eyes. Look at the top of the window, and click on File, and then click on Save. You may also want to save this to your Desktop for easy access.

Note: While most staff members would instruct you to change the file type to a single text file, I would like you to leave it as HTML this time --- it's just easier on my eyes. This may not always be the case.

(6) Along with your next reply to me, please attach the three HTML files to your response. Underneath the text area you type in, you will notice the Select a File option. If you click on the Browse... button, you will be able to find the files to send me. First hold down the Shift key, and Click on the report files and then click on Open. Next, click on the green UPLOAD button to your right. Once attached, you may submit your reply.

Edited by Facedown98, 16 December 2008 - 07:50 PM.

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay I can only upload two. The last HTML file exceeds the upload limit at 888 KB. How should I go about giving you the last file?

Attached Files