Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuttering with mouse, audio, and video

• Please log in to reply

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay I ran the diagnostic software that Dell supplied and nothing showed up. Oh another interesting bit of information. After I remove a disc from the drive, there is no stuttering. However, when I reset my laptop without a disc in the drive, the stuttering returns until I insert a disc back into the drive. So apparently I don't need to always have a disc in the drive to eliminate the stuttering. I only need to put it in and then take it out.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sorry for the long delay. Holidays, along with having wisdom teeth yanked (ouch) have kept me swamped.

My final thoughts at this time are that your CD drive may be defective. Perhaps it is sending false signals to the board which is causing the computer make an attempt at processing something that does not exist. I know that's not good news because this is a laptop --- replacing the drive could be messy and costly. Sadly I have not found a more satisfactory solution.

Sorry :)

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
That's alright, I hope pulling out your wisdom teeth wasn't too painful. Anyhow, if it's too costly then I'm just going to wait until a bit later when I purchase a new laptop. For now, my temporarily solution works okay with having a disc in the disc drive.