Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless client/bridge connected over 30ft network cable?

• Please log in to reply

- Q

- Q

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Because my router is downstairs and the room it is in is on the very farthest back room, and my Client Bridge (a Linksys WRT150n on DD-WRT) in a room in the furthest room possible (my bedroom) I get a signal of 52% (from the routers status tab), which isn't very ideal for ps3 and xbox 360 gaming. My wireless pc has an excellent and strong signal, but i think it's because the tiny antennae on the WRT150n is why the signal for that is so poor.

What I want to do is plug 30ft network cables to my consoles, and run the cable across the house into another room where the wireless bridge will be which is pretty much above the room the router is in.

The question is, because I am running a 30ft cable, will data be transferred slower because it has to be transferred wirelessly, get picked up by the the client bridge, and then run through 30ft of network cable? Also, If the network cable is coiled up because it is too long, will that hurt it's performance? And would a Cat5e or Cat6 cable be better?

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements