Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cpu problem

• Please log in to reply

merlinto

merlinto

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently purchased from ebay an MSI KT6 Delta 400FSB socket A Mobo
specifically to run an Amd Athlon XP 3000 processor.
once built when switched on it would power up start the fans and run for maybe 3 seconds then power down .
I tried alsorts changed memory graphics card PSU and then finally the CPU the system now boots ok with the athlon xp 1700 but not whith the 3000 .
but another system i have runs the 3000 cpu no problems but not at full speed as the Mobo doesn't support it (the reason for buying the Msi mobo)

I am using one double sided stick of kingston 266mhz 1Gb ram
a PNY Nvidia 6600 agp card with 256Mb video ram
any pointers would be appreciated :)

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

According to MSI, that motherboard only supports Athlon XP 3000 cpu's that have the Barton core. Do you know if your's is a Barton or not?

CPU compatibility list

merlinto

merlinto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have just double checked it on the CPU world website and it confirms it is a barton
the serial number on the cpu is

AXDA3000DKV4D

3000 XP BARTON SPECS

i HAVE JUST DONE A BIOS UPGRADE ON THE MOTHERBOARD TO SEE IF IT MADE ANY DIFFERENCE BUT STILL NOT WORKING

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, a bios update was going to be my next suggestion but you've beaten me to it!
Can you just check that the board is PCB version 200C or higher?

Do you have the D-bracket with the board by any chance? If so, does it give you an diagnostic LED code when you try & boot with the Barton installed?

merlinto

merlinto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK I can't find a PCB version No anywhere ,where abouts on the board should it be ?and no I don't have the led attachment.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It should be printed on the board after the model number. If it's not there, then we'll have to assume there was only one PCB revision.

merlinto

merlinto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it says its a kt6 delta ms- 6950 ver 2

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I guess that's the right one then.
The only thing I can think of is maybe the fact that you're using 266MHz RAM is the problem. It's possible that the only way to get the CPU to run at the required 333MHz FSB is if the ram is also capable of running at that speed.