Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems copying some JPG files

• Please log in to reply

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
My parents' computer is really screwed up (a problem for another thread, if they don't just give up and trash this CPU in the first place), and I am backing up pictures from their digital camera onto an external hard drive that I have. For some of the pictures (1 or 2 per 100), I can't copy them over, and I get this message: "Data Error: Cyclic Redundancy Check". I am assuming that the file is ruined. Is there any way to get these pictures fixed or transfer them over, or are they ruined for good?

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

My parents' computer is really screwed up (a problem for another thread, if they don't just give up and trash this CPU in the first place), and I am backing up pictures from their digital camera onto an external hard drive that I have. For some of the pictures (1 or 2 per 100), I can't copy them over, and I get this message: "Data Error: Cyclic Redundancy Check". I am assuming that the file is ruined. Is there any way to get these pictures fixed or transfer them over, or are they ruined for good?

Hello xzmattzx

It sounds to me like the file or files in question could be corrupted. If you can move the files to another location on the hard disk and then try and back them up it may work like that. If you are using disks (cd's or dvd's) to back the data up make sure they are clean and not scratched.

I would like to ask though if you can view these photos? If the answer is yes then try saving them under a different name and try and back them up under the new name. I can't see that helping much but its worth ago.

My parents' computer is really screwed up (a problem for another thread, if they don't just give up and trash this CPU in the first place)

Why throw something out thats working :) not everyone can get a new cpu so they may want to keep hold of that for aslong as possible which is a good idea.

Regards

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I can't really view them. That standard picture viewer is used as the default JPG viewer, and when I try to view the picture, it will start to load, and then at some point it will go gray from that point on down to the bottom of the picture.

As far as my parents' computer goes, it might need to be trashed because it really doesn't work. It crashes pretty regularly, and then asks for the boot disk when it goes into restart. I don't know if it's getting too hot or something, but it can't handle more than a couple programs open at once. Even watching something on Youtube will make it shut down. Also, I am told that the monitor has acted funny and will adjust its size (squeeze itself in, jump around, etc) on its own.

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Okay, I checked to see if the pictures were viewable, and in Windows Picture Viewer or whatnot, a preview was not available. I can see it as a thumbnail, though, in Windows Explorer. If I open the picture in Infranview, the picture starts to load, and then at some point the data comes up as gray matter, and from there on down it's just gray.

How could these files get corrupted? Would it be a virus? My parents have Norton Anti-Virus, and it's on Auto-Protect mode, but I don't think that Liveupdate has run recently. Or, could it be something else?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello xzmattzx

Files can get corrupt in many ways, if I was to list them all I would be here all day :) one of which could be viruses or just the operating system it-self.

It crashes pretty regularly, and then asks for the boot disk when it goes into restart

Ah, even that could cause the pictures to be come corrupt, but in regards to random shutting downs this could be overheating and could be resolved just by cleaning the old compound paste off and putting a new layer onto the top of the cpu. (Processor) Now I cannot guarantee 100% that this will work but its an option if you would like to do it.

Now if you think it is a virus we can help here :) my-self I am not allowed to give malware removal advice yet but I can sure point you in the right direction :wave:

I reccomend that you post this problem in our malware removal forum. Please read the following topic here and then post your problem here.
Please post your problem there where our experts will be more than happy to assist you :help:

Regards

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

but in regards to random shutting downs this could be overheating and could be resolved just by cleaning the old compound paste off and putting a new layer onto the top of the cpu

Good idea.

Also, while you've got the covers off, get a vacuum cleanrer and can of compressed air and get rid of ALL the accumulated dust - heatsinks, fans etc.

You'll be amazed how much builds up inside a typical pc and can also lead to overheating, especially the fan in the PSU.

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I wonder if there might be other reasons for the shutting down. there have been problems with Norton, and the computer is going slower.

I think I'm goign to make a separate thread on this. What would be the right section for it?

Thanks for the information no the JPG pictures. I was hoping that I would salvage them somehow, but it doesn't look like it. At least it's only 20 or so out of thousands. I've backed up everything that I can, so hopefully if more get corrupted (seems to have happened to more in the last month), I'll be fine.