Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explore error

• Please log in to reply

Denblu

Denblu

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Help!
I am not very computer literate, but I can follow instructions.
When I am booting my computer, it will load up to the wallpaper and then gives me an error in Explore registry. It wil not fully load Windows. I have a Compaq with Windows 98 SE. I have tried to load in safe mode but get the same results.
I have a new computer with WQindows XP and have no problems with it. I am trying to transfer pictures off of the old computer to the new one, then I think that I can just reinstall Windows. I cannot locate my rescue disc.
Can anyone help?

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
It sounds like a corrupt registry file to me. try restoring the registry using scanreg as described below.

Restart Windows 98. While the system is first booting up, press and hold the left CTRL key until you see the Windows 98 Startup menu. You may have to try this several times since win 98 doesn't allow much time.
In the Startup menu, select Command Prompt Only.
From the MS-DOS command prompt, type ScanReg /Restore.
A screen should appears listing the available backups. Select a backup from when the system was working. Reboot to determine if the symptom is fixed.

On some machines you may have to press F8 instead of CTRL. Do this if CTRL does not seem to work. According to the Windows 98 Secrets book "the keys are read just after the power-on self test ends and before the DOS bootup phase begins."

I hope this helps.

StarHawk

Edited by StarHawk, 04 May 2005 - 01:51 PM.

Denblu

Denblu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Starhawk.
I will give it a try and let you know how it comes out.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I also should have mentioned that it is easy to find Windows Boot disks online.

At Bootdisk.com you can download a WinImage Self Extracting file which will create a Windows Start Up floppy disk. The Win98 OEM links found there create the same Start up disk that Windows 98 creates when you go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control panel and then click Create Disk found under the StartUp Disk tab . If you've used this Disk before you know it boots up into DOS but you can run scandisk on your hard drive (first change drives at the dos prompt, assuming your hard drive is c: type c: at the dos prompt and then type scandisk. Considering your problem I definately would run scandisk on your hard drive!

I also like the Ultimate Boot disk found at http://www.startdisk.com/. Check it out.

Truthfully tho I usually keep a few custom made boot disk around for the worst case scenarios, as well as the virus rescue disk my antivirus program creates. If you can get your 98 machine to boot consider that. Hope it works out for you.

Denblu

Denblu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It worked! I am back up and running.
I will make new boot discs tonight.
Thanks for all of your help.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Denblu I am glad it worked. :tazz: Truthfully i was a bit worried it was worse than that maybe even a Hard Drive problem. Scanreg can often work miracles and I almost always try it first for a variety of problems. It's easy to do and seldom is the wrong thing to do even if it doesn't solve your problem. Remember it and keep some Startup disks around you never know.

Peace Starhawk

Denblu

Denblu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I will keep at least 2 rescue discs now.
I learn more every day about computers. Mostly by force.
Thanks again. :tazz: