Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed wireless USB adapter for PC but having problems.

• Please log in to reply

ellzee

ellzee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Forgive me, this is a little hefty, as I've attempted to include every detail in the hopes that it will he helpful. I apologize if I'm providing unnecessary information or coming across poorly! I'm quite ignorant as to what I'm doing. :)

I recently bought and installed a Wireless G USB Network Adapter on my desktop PC in an effort to capitalize on the free wireless provided by my apartment community. However, I'm having some problems... Namely neither of my internet browsers, IE or Firefox, will connect to the internet. When I first installed the adapter, IE took me to the apartment log in page and allowed me to log in, but would only load half of the pages I attempted to navigate to, and seemingly only on a random basis. Firefox wouldn't work at all. I thought maybe I needed to update the browsers, since they haven't been used in well over a year, but after updating and restarting, neither one would work at all. The curious thing is this: I shouldn't be able to connect to anything until I log in through the apartment's page (this is always the case on my boyfriend's laptop), however it was allowing me to sign on to AIM... even though my browsers still continued to tell me I wasn't connected. Today, when I thought to try again, it's now telling me that my PC is communicating with the apartment network's router, but that the router is not connecting with the internet (whereas before, everything was communicating just fine)... However, I know it must be, since I'm on my boyfriend's laptop on the same network right this instant. What's going on?

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Wireless routers allow a security password to be set, to prevent unauthorised use by 'freeloaders' in the next room or, for example, sitting in a car outside with a laptop to freeload on to someone's net connection. If a password has been set up on the router you need to enter the same password in your wireless adapter's software.