Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can anyone help me?

• Please log in to reply

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I know how to get to DM, and how to assign drive letters, but is there a way to search a hard drive for the remaining space?

A few facts to throw out and see if the apply to you. Some old bioses have a hard time reading drives above 137GB, because of this, there is a jumper setting to limit a drives size to 137GB. Check your drive and see if this jumper is accidentally set. If it is not check back in the bios and see if it is reporting the full drive size or only 137GB. If so, it may be limiting it to 137 (with an occasionaly flash of it making it through I dunno). My guess though is the jumper.

Advertisements

TwerpBassMan

TwerpBassMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but the back of the hard drive, is this the end with the sata plugs, lol?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Please excuse my ignorance, but the back of the hard drive, is this the end with the sata plugs, lol?

Yep, you will have the SATA plugs and then some small pins with a little plastic rectangular thing that connects two pins (vertically). This is the jumper(s), there maybe more than one.

TwerpBassMan

TwerpBassMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, thank you. On the back I see a sata plug, what looks to be an oversized sata plug, I'm guessing it is the power cable, and a rectangle containing 8 pins, 2 vertical by 4 horizontal.

Edited by TwerpBassMan, 06 December 2008 - 10:36 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The jumpers on the sata drive do not get changed as per the manual. They are for using in a enterprise storage environment.

You can get your manuals HERE

I would leave the partition as it is and then set up other partitions accordingly, unless you have a specific reason for a 1TB drive for the OS.

TwerpBassMan

TwerpBassMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yeah, I would rather have my important files in a different drive letter as well. Like someone said earlier, that way my files don't get screwed if I get a virus of some sort.

I will continue to reboot, lol, just to find the remaining room.

Now I have a new problem, lol. I downloaded all of my drivers, AVG, WinRAR, things like this, onto this computer, parents, to burn to a cd. Now, there cd drives will not cooperate. As you can guess, the new one is not hooked to the internet as of yet.

TwerpBassMan

TwerpBassMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I found a way to get my drivers and stuff to the new computer, SanDisk USB Flash Drive. The only thing is I don't have one on hand. I have an MP3 player that LOOKS the same but is SamSung, will it work?

Also, 123, the link you sent me, the back of mine is identical to that apart from one thing, the four plug legacy power port is not there.

Edited by TwerpBassMan, 06 December 2008 - 02:59 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Virtually Any type of flash drive will work. As long as you can copy files to and from it.

TwerpBassMan

TwerpBassMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, thank you, I'll try to find it, and try it out.