Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to run programs on notebook vista and desktop xp

• Please log in to reply

bobdonegan

bobdonegan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have programs o desktop i want to run on notebook but get error message cannot run on this system.
even if i download new to notebook and they say will run on vista still get error message someting about 32 bits and 64 bits.

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
There are two types of Windows XP & Vista. One type is "32-bit Windows" which most people have, the other type is "64-bit" which can run applications faster if those applications are also "64-bit". However, "64-bit" applications cannot run on 32-bit Windows. You can run only 32-bit applications on 32-bit Windows.

It seems you are trying to install 64-bit software on a 32-bit version of Windows, which is not possible.
You can install & run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit version of Windows, but definitely not vice versa.

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 04 December 2008 - 11:23 AM.