Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't find audio driver

• Please log in to reply

esjay

esjay

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi. I hope you can help me. I've got a computer that was given to me. It runs XP. I recently reformatted and reinstalled the OS. Because I don't have all of the drivers or even information for this computer, I was worried about getting back things like audio. I asked a friend about it and he said to install a free program called Driver Magician and it would save the drivers. I did so and it worked for everything but my audio. It has a folder for the audio--the audio is apparently a "C-Media AC97 Audio Device" and it has files inside the folder but I can't get any of them to run and reinstall the audio driver. I tried to look at the little audio "cube" on the motherboard but can't find any identifying numbers. Is there a way I can find the correct driver? Thank you very much. Esjay

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
There are several versions of this device, each requiring a different driver.
To be sure you get the right one we need to know the make/model of the PC motherboard.
Please download 'Belarc Adviser' from here, run it and post the system info to us:
http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

However, if the PC is made by a well-known company such as Packard Bell, HP/Compaq, Gateway, Sony, Fujitsu Siemens etc. you don't need
Belarc Adviser because all those companies supply the correct drivers for their own computers. Simply go the appropriate website for your region, go to their drivers or downloads section, select or type in the model number of the PC and a new page with the correct drivers will open.

esjay

esjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you so much, Granddad Philip. Is this the info you're looking for?

Board: KM266A-8235
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 12/24/2004

I have every reason to believe this is a computer that was built from scratch, not a "name" computer.

Esjay

esjay

esjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I found the driver. Thank you.

Esjay