Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PVR hard disk change

• Please log in to reply

upstix

upstix

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I often work on DVR's and a hard disk upgrade is a fairly straightforward task.
I use Norton Ghost to copy the existing drive onto the new one.

So when i recently bought a Sharp PVR i expected the same process would allow me to upgrade from a 160gb HD to a 400gb HD.

However, i have hit a snag:

I have interrogated the existing drive ( samsung HD161HJ ) to find 3 healthy partitions in disk management. The problem is that the file system is not listed ( i was expecting to see FAT32) so i don't know how to format the new drive. I am guessing that Sharp use a proprietry file system that XP does not recognise.

Maybe if i blagged a laptop from work running Linux i might have more luck?

Any ideas??

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you clone the contents over it doesn't matter what file system it is as that'll go over with it with Norton Ghost. You don't need to prepare the drive in any way if you Ghost to it.