Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

inherited XP Pro with network pw - no DVD/CD ROM

• Please log in to reply

brinas30

brinas30

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
My brother gave me a laptop Dell with XP Professional. They used it to access their company network, but the LCD has lines in it so the company doesn't want it back and my brother is no longer with this company. Also, my brother doesn't remember the password, so he gave it to me.

Without a DVD/CD ROM or floppy drives, how do install another OS or bypass the current pw.

Note: I have no access to their network and there are no programs which link to this company. But there is some software I would like to use such as Adobe Photoshop, etc.

Thanks,

Bree

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
You cannot install anything on it, including an OS. It's been custom made for the company which is why it has no removable drives, to prevent employees from installing their own software. The company probably used an external, plug-in cd-rom drive to install their own software. .It will also most likely only connect to that companies' closed network, not the public internet. So it's going to be pretty useless to you, with or without the password (which we cannot help you with).

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 06 December 2008 - 06:16 AM.