Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New hard drive installation problems

• Please log in to reply

troxio

troxio

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I recently bought a new hard drive to my Apsire 3680 laptop, it is identical to the last one I had ( Toshiba MK8034GSX HDD2D38 ) it crashed. So here I am with the new hard drive and I put it in, and when the laptop turns on I get the message saying:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating system not found.

Now, when I go to the setup menu before this appears, in the BIOS screen the hard drive is recognized. I do not know what this means, any help is really appreciated! I was running a Windows Vista Home Edition before. And with this new hard drive there is no CD that came with it.
THANKS!

Edited by troxio, 06 December 2008 - 10:40 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need to install Windows on the new drive.
You cannot just put a new hard drive in your laptop and expect it to do something, unfortunately it doesn't work like that. All (new) hard drives you buy are empty.
You can put Windows on it by putting the Vista CD in and following the on-screen instructions.

troxio

troxio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Seems to be installing the Vista on my new hard drive now! I didn't think of such a simple thing to do as to set my DVD drive as a first priority when booting! Thanks for helping out!!! :) :)

Edited by troxio, 06 December 2008 - 08:27 PM.