Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP ! my desktop was reprogrammed,now my card reader will NOT wor

• Please log in to reply

starla

starla

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
hello ~~ I am asking PLEASE if ANYONE can help . I had a friend of a friend lPUT A FEW PROGRAMS ONTO MY SYSTEM . i AM wondering if a few of these shouldent be working together ? ever since I got my tower back my WHOLE front tower controls DO NOT WORK ??? I have a sony cybershot digital camrea, and the card reader which usually would pop rioght in and then the window would open asking where to open or save these pictures, well now NOTHING happens when I put in a card . ANY card. Also the usb on the front of the tower doesent seem to work ethier . I am very confused, I asked the guy who FIXED AND REPROGRAMED MY HP , (MICROSOFT WINDOWS xp MEDIA CENTER EDITION) WHAT HE DID AND WHY WOULD THESE FRONT READERS NOPT WORK AFTER HE DID ALL THAT HE DID . i would think that the programs he added, and the reformatting he did would have nothing to do with the motherboared, and the front panel . HE states that the panel must be going out . ?? this desktop is now about 2 years old . this is the 2nd time I have had it worked on . I do like the programs he added, I now have alot of programs I needed. BUT I really need my pictures to load of my camrea, as I sell on ebay, and other places, and this is a MUST !! I have to show people pictures of the item they want to buy, wouldent you want to see a used ipod, before you bought it ??? sorry this post is so long, and I a, sorry I did not use my office system to write it . I am sure this looks like a bunch of jumble without me using paragraphs. I AM SORRY > Please just bare with me .

2nd question , IF the panel in the front of the tower IS going out. ??? where and how do I get a external card reader , and about what do they cost , and would YOU do this ? or should I try to get compaq to fix the front tower controls that SHOULD work just fine ..

3rd ~ is thier anything my pc doc' could have messed up while playing around , adding programs and basically formatting my pc like his. (I am having to learn how to do alot of things over again , because they are his' way . )
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!!!

1 HELP WITH CARD READER, WHY WILL IT NOT WORK ??
2 ~ EXTERNAL CARD READER EASY ? HARD >? SHOULD I BUY ONE ?
3 ~ COULD THE GUY WHO WORKED' ONM MY PC HAVE MESSED THIS UP ??

I WILL BE PATIENT , BUT PLEASE ANYONE, SOMEONE HELP !!!!!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome back to geeks to go.

We are going to have to sort some stuff out. I do not think there is 1 answer to all of the issues.

adding programs and basically formatting my pc like his

What does this mean? Did he reformat and reinstall the operating system?

my WHOLE front tower controls DO NOT WORK

This could be related to the first question. Did he reformat?
It could also be that he knocked a cable off the mother board (if he was inside the case). The front USB controls are usually connected to the board by a cable.

HE states that the panel must be going out

Highly unlikely that the entire panel has gone bad.

Do you have any USB slots in the back of the computer? (Usually there are a few). If so, try a usb in 1 of them.
We will also need some specifics on your computer. You mentioned HP/Compaq. What model is is.
What is the operating system you are using? XP home/ XP pro/ me/ 2000/ 98?

If XP, could you please go to start/ run and type in devmgmt.msc and click ok
This will open up device manager. Tell us if you see anything like ? and ! in the list.

This will give us a start.

starla

starla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
THANK YOU , but 1st I have NO idea IF he reformatted my whole PC< I am LOST . I do not know much about these things .

yes the usb in the back of the tower work fine. in fact on the front tower the bottom left 2 usb's work fine, (beside the audio headphone jack etc.) there are 3 usb's there, I know the left 2 work, not sure abotu the middle one . the ones I am talking about are above that . where I have 4 card readers, (WILL NOT WORK) and the one usb 2.0

my desktop is a hp/microsoft windows XP media center edition 2005

I dont know if he went into the box, the 1st time, I took it to him again to add a hard drive I had gotton, and he dusted it out, said that he did NOT know why the readers were not working, and that they must be burnt >>??

HE is a computer guru' HE should KNOW" what is going on, and the fact he is being so duh' about this is worrying me . could he have changed my motherboard ???? what else besides not being pluged in' (which I will open it up & ck, while im in there I will read ALL #'s,. and write everything I see down .

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP , I would LOVE to FIX this problem . I have bought a card reader and am using the usb on the bottom left with it . but it still is the point my card readers NEED to work, for cell phones, camreas, etc. any and all help id very appreciated ~~~~ starlA

starla

starla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
If XP, could you please go to start/ run and type in devmgmt.msc and click ok
This will open up device manager. Tell us if you see anything like ? and ! in the list.

YES ~~~ there are a few, and he went threw those with me in trillion (another thing he has on my pc to be able to help' me ) I would love to show you everything in that box, I tried to copy it , how do I do that >>?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Need to know what is in device manager that has the ? and !.
This could be part of the problem.
If he knew about them, he should have fixed them.

What is the model of the HP?